375 Ruger African

houston

Just unboxed a new 375 ruger african, cleaned it, releived a little fore arm wood to insure the barrel was floated, put a 6.5x20x50 leupold, lapped the rings] on it. Shot both factory loads and handloads 270 barnes TSX 74 gr R/15 and a 3" group at a 100 yards was the best it would do with either load. I'm total bummed, any suggestions. It did exactly the same groups with both loads, mostly left to right with a lower one ocasionally. My buddy got the same results. Im thinking scope, or is it rifle?lightbulb

I have had my best luck with 260 nosler accubonds, 75.5gr rl-15, fed 215 primers, 0.010 off the lands. Velocity of app. 2805. And wait for it, 1.5" groups but nothing better. I also have ensured the barrel is free. Tried 300 gr hornady, and 270 speers with no luck, about 3-3.5" as well. All of this is in an Ruger African too.

You aren't mixing the Barnes with conventional cup & core bullets are you? that will certainly degrade accuracy, as they are made of slightly different material my experiences tend to show SEVERE fouling while mixing the two types while shooting, especially with factory barrels (being usually rougher internally). If you are (I made that mistake as well), ensure you start with a very clean barrel before shooting the Barnes.

I would also suggest following Barnes advise for bullet seating, start with .050 jump to the rifling. I've been shooting Barnes for years & have found that to be a great starting point.

No I shot the factory loads to get the brass then reloded the barnes. I also cleaned the barrel in between.
Jeff~

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.