375 Ruger / 416 Ruger conversion

Varmint Hunter

I've got a LH 375 Ruger Guide Gun. It really is a great gun for the money and shoots quite well. However, I have always wanted a 416 Ruger which isn't available in a LH Guide Gun. Is there any reason I couldn't just have Ruger swap the 375 bbl for their 416 bbl?

I doubt Ruger would make that change for you. Maybe they have a custom shop. But, my experience with Ruger is, if you send them any gun that has alterations from 'factory', they either won't work on it or they will change it back into 'as from the factory' condition.

I doubt Ruger would make that change for you. Maybe they have a custom shop. But, my experience with Ruger is, if you send them any gun that has alterations from 'factory', they either won't work on it or they will change it back into 'as from the factory' condition.
From their custom shop ...

Ruger custom shop.JPG

"We are not preforming individual custom work at this time." ",but do not have any plans to offer custom work in the near future." Looks to me, if you want the caliber conversion you have in mind, you'll have to find an individual gunsmith who can and will do it for you. I'm not sure I'd know of anyone that would want a Ruger barrel removed and another Ruger barrel installed, anyway. In my mind, 'custom work' is an upgrade, not just a change in caliber/chambering.

Last edited:
why not order a premium barrel blank the contour and twist you want and have a qualified gunsmith chamber and install

why not order a premium barrel blank the contour and twist you want and have a qualified gunsmith chamber and install
That's an option but a Ruger factory bbl would be more then accurate enough for a short/mid range rifle and it would keep things all original (more or less). It would also be considerably less expensive.

If expense is a significant issue, might better leave it as is.
A new barrel and barrel install will be spendy, compared to the original cost of your rifle.

it would not be any where near original if a left handed guide gun was not offered in 416 that said I understand what you meant

The barrel on my .375 Ruger Alaskan has severely rough lands. Ruger won't let me even drop my rifle at their repair center an hour from me. I inquired about them installing the African barrel on my rifle if I send it in for repair. They gave me a very boring reply about they could only install what it had originally.

I understand your frustration.
I make the majority of my rifles into switch barrels, I utilise the factory barrel and then figure out what else I would like.
My advice is get a barrel made in 416 Ruger that perfectly matches the barrel in 375, have a competent gunsmith make it into a switch barrel with shouldered barrels and then you have both. A Davidson barrel vice and action wrench are cheap.

Cheers.

For what you can buy a 416 ruger for just buy one. Sorry, I forgot they don,t make it left hand. Have your smith order a barrel and screw it on. Buy a barrel vise and action wrench and you will have 2 rifles in one.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.