375 projectile options

Rum and not the liquid

Hi all.

I've got a 375 rum and my current load is 350gn smk 95.4gn of adi 2217 loaded at 4" long adg brass pumping out 2665 fps from a 30" proof barrel My question is I'm getting resonable accuracy .5/.6" but I feel like I can do better. Has someone used a better bullet?

Cheers
Lucas

I was using a 300g SMK in my 375 Weatherby with great results, but have moved away from target type bullets.
The Berger will have better down range ballistics, but seeing as you used ADI 2217 as the powder designation, getting ANY Berger bullet in Australia or New Zealand is like finding rocking horse poop.
Badlands make a good bullet, so does Cutting Edge.
You will have to look around for any of the exotic ELR bullets that may be available to you.
I know they are very limited here in Australia.

Cheers.

Sweet. Think there is one guy that brings in cutting edge might give them a nudge next but I'm I bit reluctant to just buy projectiles to try which is a silly think to say in this sport

Cheers
Lucas

I was using a 300g SMK in my 375 Weatherby with great results, but have moved away from target type bullets.
The Berger will have better down range ballistics, but seeing as you used ADI 2217 as the powder designation, getting ANY Berger bullet in Australia or New Zealand is like finding rocking horse poop.
Hey Maniac, you got your .338 & .375 crossed.😁

RUM,
He is right about Badlands and Cutting Edge, if you want to go lead free. I have been running the 375 grain Chinchaga bullets for several years and they have been extremely accurate and devastating on game. You may try the 325 version, probably a good match for the RUM case.
I've recently been using the 390 A-Tips with decent ELR results on steel.
Keep in mind I'm running a bit bigger chambering.

RUM,
He is right about Badlands and Cutting Edge, if you want to go lead free. I have been running the 375 grain Chinchaga bullets for several years and they have been extremely accurate and devastating on game. You may try the 325 version, probably a good match for the RUM case.
Barrel twist?

RUM,
Nope, 300g SMK is what I was using ringing steel way out there.

Cheers.

Never heard of a 300 grain .375 caliber Matchking. Ive shot thousands of the 300 grain .338 Caliber Matchkings, have several hundred now. Plus have some 350 grain SMK .375 Cal's, but never heard of a 300 in that cal.

Maybe it's the low speed. Have you tried finding a higher speed accuracy node? Mines throated long, but my 25" barrel can run up nearly to 2900 before getting sticky with h1000 and retumbo in bertram at 4.2" oal. Rl33 does faster compressed, but accuracy dropped. Before cutting the throat I was getting 2810 with 7828ssc I rem brass. I'd imagine theres a good load on up from where u are currently at. I really like the bertram after bumping the pockets on a pocket swager button. I also strive for slightly compressed loads.

That said, .5 center to center with a 375 rum isnt bad at all unless you wanted to hit a mile, especially if es is low.

Last edited:
Thanks biff. Think I started to get marks on the brass so that's why I backed it down a bit. I'll post a picture and see what ya reckon. I've also got some 352gn mtacs coming so I'll load them up and see

Never heard of a 300 grain .375 caliber Matchking. Ive shot thousands of the 300 grain .338 Caliber Matchkings, have several hundred now. Plus have some 350 grain SMK .375 Cal's, but never heard of a 300 in that cal.

I have a. 375-8 Rem. With that 300SMK I fired gobs of 3/8" 100 yard 3 shot groups.

100 grains of my duplex load produced 3,006 feet per second. In those days I used a Tasco 4-16X.

It's a little hard to see but there is a bit of a ring starting to form. The bolt isn't sticky at all

Cheers
Lucas

Attachments

• 831A3DE4-6305-45E0-963A-C51A28EFA66B.jpeg
    831A3DE4-6305-45E0-963A-C51A28EFA66B.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 46