375 jdj

Eastcoastshooter375

I just recently picked up a 375 JDJ barrel for my Encore pistol. With Dies and brass on the way, I'm eager to get things started.

Are there any other 375 JDJ shooters out there and if so, what loads or type bullets did you have good success with? I'm leaning toward a 225 Hornady sp or a 235 speer (Higher BC than 200-220 FP bullets).

Tom

Hi Tom, Congrats on your 375 JDJ. I think you will find this cartridge capable of handling a multitude of hunting tasks. I've been shooting a 375 JDJ since the early 70's. For deer-sized game, Hornady's 220 gr. flat point or their 225 gr. sp work well. For larger game like elk or moose, Hornady's 270 gr. sp has been effective. Should you have the desire/opporunity for dangerous game, the 375 JDJ has a proven track record. Recently I have hunted with Cor-Bon factory ammo and it shoots well and works.

Good luck with your 375 JDJ.

Mark I appreciate your reply. I will mostly be hunting whitetail and black bear here in Va. I read on another site that the 225 hornady sp were designed for the 375 Steyr but that could be someones persuasion to use the FP bullets.

Were you pleased with the performance out of both the FP and SP bullets? I doubt I'll load 270 gr bullets in it, possibly a 235 speer or 250 sierra if I decide I need more penetration.

What velocities are you producing with your loads?

Tom

Tom,
The advice from Hampton is top notch. Hornaday 220 and 270 grain bullets are what made the JDJ the Gold Standard in hunting TCs. BC? Why get worked up about that. Only a couple of inches difference in trajectory at JDJ ranges. Load data from SSK has been spot-on for my 375. Hornaday 220g @ 2200 absolutely hammers deer and Black Bear. 270 spire points are for things that you want REALLY DEAD. Keep an eye on pressure, load for accuracy. 220g loads will expand well and stay together in the classic mushroom shape.
Enjoy!
Dan

Eastcoastshooter375,

Like Dan mentioned, you will be fine with the 220 gr. FP or 225 gr. SP for whitetail and black bear. I do not recall the fps I was getting but I did use JD's recommended load data. The Hornady bullets have shot well in my 375 JDJ (Encore) I personally would not use the 270 gr. bullet for whitetail. It's a great bullet for really large game but unnecessary for whitetail. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how well those lighter bullets perform on deer-sized game.

Enjoy your 375 JDJ.

You will love the 375 jdj. I have had one now for about 10 years. It's a hammer on hogs and deer. I use the 220 hornady soft point over some h4895 powder. I have shot one inch groups at 100 yards and 1-1/2" group at 200 yards. I would not recommend the accubond bullets by nosler. I tried some and they didn't mushroom in wet paper. The white tip kinda opened the front up but that was all. Good luck.

Thanks again guys for the input! Dad has a box of 220gr FP bullets that he had for 375 winchester. Sold gun and held onto the bullets. I'll put them to use.

100 brass count should be enough. As long as I don't mess up during sizing. Should be simple. A lot less complicated than forming 357 Herrett and 30 Herrett for my Contender.

The Noslers are too expensive to shoot from pistol, they shoot too good through my 375 ruger and 375 RUM to be blowing them out of a pistol for fun. I'll probably get a couple boxes of the 225 SP bullets and have fun shooting it.

There are only a few pics on the "net" showing bullet performance. Any of you guys have some performance pics?

I too have this gun. I have always shot the 270gr bullet and been happy, but I'm moving to the 225 Hornady to get a little less recoil, I hope!

I spent some quality time at the range last week and did some expansion test with my 375 jdj. I was surprised how little expansion I got with the 235 grain Speer bullet. It passed through 24" of soaked paper and stopped in my 2x4 frame. The bullet tip mushroomed a little but it was barely larger than the original bullet diameter. The 225 hornady was great. I will try the 270's next. I forgot them on my bench at home the day I went to range. I will make the switch this year from the 220 sp to the 225 rp. I will do some accuracy test shooting the next trip to the range.

In 2009 I with a group of friends all experienced hunters. One of them with the 375 jdj has a phd and retired out of the Idaho Fish and Game. Needless to say he understands shot placement and hunting. He tried to hunt expressly with the 375. To make a long story short it sure was the best on the paper, it was the best on the flight over and it was going to be the best gun out of all. We all took only handguns. Well that best gun ended up being disposed of and he borrowed my 500 s&w. In Africa if you wound a animal you pay for it just like you killed it. I guess 2 wounded Cape Buffalo's at 12 grand a piece is enough to **** a person off. All I can say is the 500 S&W loaded with a 375gr Barnes bullet dropped all of the Buffalo in one shot. Including The owner of the 375 jdj 3rd buff. The 375jdj never came back to the USA. It was left to the PH as a tip.:)

I'm certainly not an Africa expert, but I'll bet JD Jones has enough 375 JDJ in Africa to of taught your friend how to make it work fine for him.

It is fundamentally a wildcat using 375 H&H mag or 375 Win bullets. So matching velocity, bullet and shot to game will be harder than picking up a 458 Win Mag and going to Africa.

Glad to hear your 500 did well with bullets made specifically for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.