375 jdj rifle need loads and forming brass from 3006

dgr416

I have a contender carbine 23 barrel I am trying to load for .I am trying to make brass from 3006 trim it them form it .I have only fired primers no bullets .I also have a few 444 cases which are rare as hens teeth .What bullets and powders have yall used .I.have loaded hornady 220,225 and 270 spiral point which I can no longer find all three .What bullets and powders have yall used in a rifle or pistol .I will be hunting deer and hogs .I have about sold this this thing 50 times from lack of brass bow its popping up .I have used Winchester 748 and reloader 7 in it .

Ive been shooting a 375 JDJ in a handgun for 25 years. Best performance I have gotten was with a 260grain accubond and a heavy dose of H4895. Im getting true MOA and sub MOA groups with this combination at 100 yards. Some people have said that the accubond will not perform well in this caliber due to the velocity in a handgun, but I have found just the opposite. I am sure with a rifle barrel you will be more than happy with the results.

Erik

If it helps, graf and sons web site shows hornady .444 marlin brass as in stock.

how are you overcoming the rimless case in a rifle set up or rimmed brass?

As to the bullets, if you are having trouble getting jacketed bullets get a mould and cast from scrap lead; just make sure they are heavy as all getout as you don't want to pass 2,000 fps with them. Make them from a good hard alloy and quench in a bucket of water.

As to powder, think rather fast burning rifle powders....rl7 should be great...

I have a contender carbine 23 barrel I am trying to load for .I am trying to make brass from 3006 trim it them form it .I have only fired primers no bullets .I also have a few 444 cases which are rare as hens teeth .What bullets and powders have yall used .I.have loaded hornady 220,225 and 270 spiral point which I can no longer find all three .What bullets and powders have yall used in a rifle or pistol .I will be hunting deer and hogs .I have about sold this this thing 50 times from lack of brass bow its popping up .I have used Winchester 748 and reloader 7 in it .

I have a 444 Marlin, and it likes 47.0 grains of H 4198 with a 265 grain Hornady @ 2200ft/sec.

But I would like to know how you use a 30/06 case with a .473 case head for the 444 Marlin that has a .514 case head ?

PS : Mid South shooters supply has the 444 brass. Reloading Rifle Brass.

J E CUSTOM

Sorry I left out the 375 bullet. 51 grains of H 4895 got me the best velocity with a 265 grain bullet(2360 ft/sec).

I found that the round nose 375 bullets worked best at the lower velocities and also the Match Kings
with the meplat trimmed to assist in opening.

The really tough 375 Dangerous game bullets would not expand well unless you hit the shoulder blade on entry.

J E CUSTOM

The 444 is really a 3006 semirimmed case .You can make them from 3006 and they work fine through a lever gun try a dummy round trimmed abd sized .The rim on the 444 is very small .I will order some 444 brass its been terrible to find .This gun has been quite a long time .I want to try the 260 gr accubond in the 375 jdj .I have one box of 270 gr hornady spiral points that's it for .375 bullets abd they have not been made in a while .I will watch for 375 bullets on shooterproshop.com so I don't have a bunch tied up in them .I have some reloaded 17 also.

If you are going to reload the 260accubonds, I use the same COAL as I did with the 270SP. If you need load data for it PM me. I"ve shot deer and several big hogs with this bullet. All DRT

Erik

For some reason my rifle will only shoot new 444 brass formed into 375 jdj .I tried hornady once fired was way too short .I had 100 pcs of new Remington 444 brass worked fine .The once fired Remington brass worked good .The rimless 3006 cases worked good I had to knock them out with cleaning rod when fired because its not set up for rimless case .I need to just sell this gun really don't need it !

For some reason my rifle will only shoot new 444 brass formed into 375 jdj .I tried hornady once fired was way too short .I had 100 pcs of new Remington 444 brass worked fine .The once fired Remington brass worked good .The rimless 3006 cases worked good I had to knock them out with cleaning rod when fired because its not set up for rimless case .I need to just sell this gun really don't need it !

Ok That is why I ask the question about using a 30/06 case. Ejection would be a problem as you know.

If it's a rifle, (I have a pistol in a 444 that JD Jones built for me) you may want to change the barrel
to a 444 If it is used for 400 yards and down. There is also a 309 JDJ (30 caliber) that is based on the 444 case and an 8mm JDJ And a 338 JDJ that uses the 444 case these cartridges should work well for longer distance.

Just some ideas

J E CUSTOM

H 4895 has always been one of my favorites in the 375 JDJ.

As far as the extraction issue, swap out the extractor for one designed for a 35 Remington. It will work much better on the rimless cases than the one designed for the marlin case.

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.