.375 hh

JMack

slowly building my collection which honestly isn't very big at the moment but to cover all the bases I have a .22, .223/5.56s, 7mm08, .300 win.....thinking of adding a .375 hh. Just a basic stainless Remington factory 24" bbl Tupperware stock. I am a little on the fence with it or .338 win. I want to to stick with cartridges that components and ammo are relatively easy to acquire. Not looking to start a conversation about .338 vs .375 but I feel the .375 is a logical jump to really cover any use I might have.

No real technical question just wandering if this seems like a logical addition. I've contemplated the ultra mags but for me it boils down to sticking with the basics. I've never owned anything bigger than a .30.

No real technical question just wandering if this seems like a logical addition. I've contemplated the ultra mags but for me it boils down to sticking with the basics. I've never owned anything bigger than a .30.

I say go for it ... there is something nostalgic about the classic chambering like the .375H&H.

there is something nostalgic about the classic chambering like the .375H&H.

Nostalgia aside, the .375 H&H is still a highly respected cartridge for all North American game and many species in Africa. The bullet selection and available powder combinations are excellent for those who reload. Those who stick with commercially loaded ammunition have nothing to fear from being short changed in their pursuit of high quality ammunition. In essence, the .375 H&H is and will be a superb addition to your selection of rifles and eminently usable in the pursuit of any game in North America.

Good Choice!

Last edited:
Nostalgia aside, the .375 H&H is still a highly respected cartridge for all North American game and many species in Africa. The bullet selection and available powder combinations are excellent for those who reload. Those who stick with commercially loaded ammunition have nothing to fear from being short changed in their pursuit of high quality ammunition. In essence, the .375 H&H is will be an superb addition to your selection of rifles and eminently usable in the pursuit of any game in North America.

Good Choice!

Agreed!

Realistically out of a 24" factory sported barrel what is the far end of its usable range? 400yards? 500 yards?

........No real technical question just wandering if this seems like a logical addition......

I can't say much about the logic involved, but mines been fun. Very lethal, easy to load for, runs cast bullet well, and modern bullets like the 248 Hammer Hunter, add a few more yards to the equation.

My first custom, built early 80's. It's literally the rifle in the safe with the most universal appeal. Folks just like handling it. It's been loaned out for bear hunts without complaints.

I've had enough impolite questions about it's fate when I'm "gone", I started telling them it will be decided in WWE style ladder cage match. There can be only one!

....Realistically out of a 24" factory sported barrel what is the far end of its usable range? 400yards? 500 yards?..

Answering that requires a bit more info??? With the 248 Hammer, 4 shots at my steel squirrel, just a bit short of 300 yards (exact range escapes me right now) Steve fired one low, dialed for effect flipped the squirrel, next shooter didn't have a clear view of the full target, but his shot cleared all the rock blocking the view, his next another solid hit.

In fairness Steve refers to it as a ballistic pig.

Answering that requires a bit more info??? With the 248 Hammer, 4 shots at my steel squirrel, just a bit short of 300 yards (exact range escapes me right now) Steve fired one low, dialed for effect flipped the squirrel, next shooter didn't have a clear view of the full target, but his shot cleared all the rock blocking the view, his next another solid hit.

In fairness Steve refers to it as a ballistic pig.
Say with a 260gr partition?

I'm also looking into getting another 375 H&H. Had a ruger No 1 I should have never sold and a Remington 700 for awhile. Anybody have a suggestion for which brand rifle to go with? I'm considering one of the Winchester, the Safari or Alaskan. Maybe one by Montana Rifle Co.

Hopefully I'm adding to your thread JMack

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.