.375 H&H Pet Loads ?

orion2000

Good evening. Just got my LH Sako action back from Douglas Barrels with a new .375 H&H barrel installed. Looking for pet (accuracy) loads for 220, 225, and 235 grain bullet weights.

Thank you !

You must have some pretty large pets.

Not really. Just one 15 year old Golden Retriever mutt.... :)

I went elk hunting last year for the first time. Three bulls taken in our group. All three took 2 or more well placed shots from .300 WM's before they went down for good. I know that people kill elk every year with .243's and 7mm-08's. However, I wanted something more decisive than my .30-06.

Reading on the various forums, it looks like the .338WM is considered the ideal elk cartridge. I had a Sako action, and I was already set up to reload for .375 H&H, so, I decided go to with .375 H&H.

End result is a Sako L691 Left Hand action, stainless Douglas #5 barrel at 26", sitting in an HS Precision stock. Current weight without scope is a little over 9 lbs. Goal is 10.5 lbs max with scope and ammo.

I am not planning to do any serious humping up and down mountains with the rifle. My personal limit will be somewhere in the 300 to 500 yard range depending on my capability, so, I am not looking for maximum velocity either. I typically stop load development once I find an accurate load above the mid line for published velocities.

I'm just looking for recommended starting points for accurate loads.

Gotta go. Look forward to any input folks can provide.

Warren

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.