375 H&H or 375 Ruger

Botha

Good day everyone....
I want to buy a 375 because I always wanted one but now you get 2 different types, the H&H and Ruger. I struggle to pick one but hope someone can give me some info and which one will be beter for hunting buffelo in Africa.
Please guys I need some help.
Thanks

Either will work fine. I have the .375 Ruger. Killed 2 buffalo last Sept in Zambia. 300 gr Swift A-frames took them down. There is not enough difference to really worry about given that a shot at a buff is usually under 125 yards. If your not a member on Africahunting.com you should go there and join. LOTS of great african hunting info available. I'm happy to answer any of your questions that I can.
Bruce

T
Either will work fine. I have the .375 Ruger. Killed 2 buffalo last Sept in Zambia. 300 gr Swift A-frames took them down. There is not enough difference to really worry about given that a shot at a buff is usually under 125 yards. If your not a member on Africahunting.com you should go there and join. LOTS of great african hunting info available. I'm happy to answer any of your questions that I can.
Bruce
Thanks Bruce....
You just made my life easier...

I now use a 375 Ruger because I really like the Ruger Guide Gun in Left Hand with a 20" barrel and had a 24" African model prior. I have had the 375 H&H in a Sako and a Zastava in LH. CZ makes a LH I have shot but never owned. Performance wise there is absolutely no difference in the two Cartridges. Loaded with the same bullet , my favorite is the 270 grain Barnes TSX, they are virtually identical. The Ruger has the advantage that it works well in 30-06 size actions and the Ruger controlled feed is a good gun. Both of mine would consistently cloverleaf 3 at 100 yards right out of thee box. The H&H needs a true magnum action. My suggestion, find the gun you like and don't worry about 375 Ruger vs H&H.

I have two Winchester M70 both with control feed. One is the Classic, one of the last ones made in New Heaven. One is the newer model made by FN. I had put muzzle breaks one both but and made sure I kept the iron sights. I have Quick Release Bases and rings and 1.5-5 scopes. I hand load so I should either 260 grn or 300 grn. Love both of them.
My humble opinion is this: where you live, or where you will hunt, which one is easier to find the ammunition? They say the 375 Ruger has a slightly more power. Would that make me change my mind? Nope. Find the one you like, the caliber that is easy to find where you are and buy that one.

Good day everyone....
I want to buy a 375 because I always wanted one but now you get 2 different types, the H&H and Ruger. I struggle to pick one but hope someone can give me some info and which one will be beter for hunting buffelo in Africa.
Please guys I need some help.
Thanks

I've owned a couple .375 H&H's over the years, the Whitworth Interarms Safari Mark X .375 H&H Mag was by far the best one, very accurate. So, the reason for picking the 375 H&H? ... simple; nostalgia'..., ballistically they are pretty much twins, especially in a hand load.

I have owned HH,Ruger, ultra, and Weatherby both 375-and 378..I'll tell you it is really hard to be the ruger. A 375 ruger with a 22 in barrels is about perfect. If you want more--ultra mag is the best designed...if you want ammo available abroad--HH. Believe it or not you will get a tad more out of the ruger than the HH but the game will not know the difference.

I think you should at least take a look at these and talk to Ritchie about what you are doing. He gave away a free gun for a grizzly hunt in Alaska. Some crazy cool stuff his 375 WSM keeps up with the big one's but out of an 18in barrel.
Vasilentarsenal.com
Or you could do his 458 WSM.😉
29827.jpeg

Last edited:
I think you should at least take a look at these and talk to Ritchie about what you are doing. He gave away a free gun for a grizzly hunt in Alaska. Some crazy cool stuff his 375 WSM keeps up with the big one's but out of an 18in barrel.
Vasilentarsenal.com
Or you could do his 458 WSM.😉
View attachment 212924
With all the issues short mags have with feeding that would be my very last choice for a dangerous game round. I can pretty much guarantee you aren't going to find that ammo in most African Countries. H&H and Ruger 375 are commonly available.

It was just a thought. I hear what you are saying about feeding but Ritchie spent a lot of time tuning his rounds for reliable feeds.
The supply issue is very true, I have never looked into going hunting in other countries so I don't know what the requirements for transportation of ammo is, but if you can get it in country even better.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.