.375 H&H Longer Range Load - Help

OK then, I stand corrected. That is an eye opener! I had been thinking along the same lines as the OP for awhile, just hadn't actually experimented with the loads yet. I put forth what I had found in my musings, but I should have cross-checked my info.

Given the data from the Barnes website, it would certainly appear that the 300 gr SGK or one of the Nosler Accubonds would be the way to go.

I apologize for the bum steer!

Another great catch, didnt think that made sense but didnth check the website and my Barnes book is old. Trying all three anyway.

Good ol midway, had me all wound up as well. I was looking at a speer hot cor 235 and that is what inspired me to cross reference the bullets. I dunno what the bc on the hot cor is, but it has to be close to that of a hand thrown basketball. Stared at it for a while trying to figure out how barnes managed a .400 in the same weight.

Anyway, I think the 260 accubond is the one, am eagrly awaiting a few box's to try in my 375 ruger. Its bc was so close to the 300 but I can drive it a fair bit faster. I have not tried any of the whiz bang new powders in the h&h but have in my 375 ruger. Rl 17 vs 4350 weight for weight did an obscene amount of velocity more. So much so I loaded another batch of comparisons just to make sure. This is for a 20 inch tube so it may not be as effective when there is more barrel to burn the powder in.

I am curious as to what one of these guys feels like shot from the prone. Unscoped mine is 8.3 lbs and is getting 2600 with a moderate load of rl17. I cant imagine cuddling on the ground with it, gonna have to learn to shoot it off a sitting bipod at least for me.

I shoot a 375 H&H inpoved on a rem action and kigger barrel 26", my pet load is IMR 4350 86grs, 2900 fps this is on the hot side work up to it, my bullet is 300gr sierra Game King at 100yds all three shots touch, at 300yds about 2"
at 300yds about 12' drop. Anything under 500yds is dead. I don't have a brake on my gun but I'm going to put one on this year, you can be as be a tuff
guy if you want, but don't be stupit if you are a hunter and it's 10 below and you need to shoot fast it makes it alot saver, the 375 kickes. I've drop 10 elk in one shot and they didn't move, from 100yds to 500yds I love this gun, it's great on small game to just punches a little hole stright through no damage.

I don't have much to contribute to the thread, my .375 H&H was built 30 plus years ago to hunt the coastal jungle, and dark timber. I did take an antelope at 300 yards pre-range finder days.
Anyway I don't shoot it since I had my neck welded back together, but discussion of this worthy "old timer" brings back happy thoughts. Thanks guys!
As far as the heavier bullets go 75 grains of 4350 and a Federal 215 will get you about 2400fps and change. This was my load for the Barnes 350 grain original-up close and personal this will do anything you ask it to. Someone mentioned the Rhino bullets-as far as I know they are a flat nose partition style bullet. When I looked into a little over 2200fps was about all you could get from the straight H&H case with the 385 grain version.

I shoot a 375 Ruger and load the 270 TSX to 2830 fps and I have found the Barnes BC for the 270 is about right at .326.

I also load the 260 AB at 2870 fps and I like the idea of using the 260 Accubond for the higher B.C. but my downrange accuracy with the 270 TSX is better. I get great groups with the AB at 100 but it starts falling apart at 300 yards. The TSX easily maintains 1/2 MOA at 300.

Despite having less energy than the higher B.C. Accubond, I've never had penetration issues with the TSX out to 400 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.