375 H&H load help

cb4128

I have a 375 H&H that I want to reload for and it's a browning stainless stalker model. I have norma brass, 215m primers, varget and h4350 that I was planning on using. This rifle will be a nilgai rifle immediately, but will also be used to shoot pigs, red stag, and hopefully an elk soon.

With those target species in mind, I was looking at the mid-range weights of 250-270gr bullets - specifically the hornady gmx, hornady spire point, speer btsp, nosler partition and accubond, as well as the barnes 250gr tsx or ttsx.

Does anyone have any experience with these bullets and terminal performance, as well as a start for load development?

Thanks a lot for the help!

I would watch Johnnysreloadingbench on YouTube. He has some nice techniques for comparing bullets.

You really need to pick a bullet first. I would try 3 med-hot loads for each bullet and 3 shots each...to get an idea on bullet.

In mine I choose the speer 285 grandslam but the 270 speer btsp shot just as good you cant go wrong with any bullet you mentioned your rifle will tell you what it wants to shoot good luck with it and have fun with the nilgai

I have terminal experience for the 250 TTSX out of my .375 H&H, for Nilgai or other large hoofed game I would not recommend it. Shot one through a Buffalo and the exit wound was small, channel was very unimpressive, just too hard and moving too fast. Now I definitely keep those loads handy and in the magazine for bear protection, but would not be my choice for hunting anymore. I think the partition or 250 Gameking might be my next hunting load, I like a little more explosive bullet and try to shoot for around 50% weight retention.

I saw a poor report on bigger game with the 250 game king, think it was an elk or a big hog. That was going to be my Bullet, in part because I could actually find it in stock right now!

does anyone have first hand experience with this one?

That's too bad on the game kings. I don't have experience with any of your other listed bullets but would be interested to hear recommendations as well. I have a bunch of 300 gr accubonds, I'll probably try those this year if I go moose hunting.

My experience with the 250 TTSX has been a bit different than some here. One of my recent kills was a Pronghorn Antelope @ approximately 300 yards.

It was near dark, I misjudged the distance and held high.....and hit high. The impact was high on the shoulder blade.....the exit would was almost as large as my open hand! Pretty darn good expansion on a small animal hit at a spot not very thick. Not certain if it was bone that contributed to the very large exit or the expanded bullet, or a combination of the two.....but, a pretty massive exit wound!

At H&H velocities I think it's a good choice.....if a .375 AI or .375 Weatherby, I would go 270 LRX. JMO. memtb

I have used 260g Accubonds, 270g Woodleigh PP, 300g SMK, 300g Woodleigh PP and 300g Accubond.
Of all those, the 260g Accubond was the most versatile and the Woodleigh's performed the best on heavy game.
The 270g Woodleigh has worked well on Red deer and Elk in NZ, but the 260g Accubond has the better trajectory, similar to a 30-06 shooting 165g pills.
Powders I used are RE15, 760 and H4350.
Varget was too fast, so was RE15 with poor velocity. H4350 yielded 2610fps with the 300g Woodleigh and was the most accurate powder tested.
My Kimber Talkeetna has been relegated to safe queen...as I use my Win Model 70 Classic Stainless in 375 Bee for everything, including deer with the 260g Accubond at 2950fps.
The 260g Accubond would be my pick, but the 260g Partition is also a tremendous performer up close.

Cheers.

I have some Barnes 250 and 270 bullets for my 375s (H&H and Ruger). The bullets shoot extremely well...

With that point - I haven't used them on game just yet. I simply wanted to point out that every bullet is going to have success stories and failures.

Every hunting rifle I work up a load for sees Nosler Accubonds/Partitions and Barnes TSX/TTSX. Whichever shoots the best, and is the most consistent, is what is used. There are countless success stories for each, along with the occasional "not happy with" stories.

Of the premium bullets, Barnes has historically been the easiest bullet to work with for myself. Accuracy comes quickly and loads are easy to come by. They did a number on two bulls that a Buddy and I took in Wyoming this year. One dropped in his tracks with a 8mm Rem Mag 200gr TSX, the other made is 40 yards with a 165TTSX out of a .30-06. I'm sure the Noslers would have done the same - I just couldn't get them to shoot out of the 8Mag.

For my .375 H&H I use the Speer 285 GS. I have taken several Oryx and they usually drop in their tracks if shot through the lungs with major exit wounds.Mine is a Chas. Daly 98 Mouser, I use 79 grains on RL 19 and WLRM primers, Hornady, Nosler, Norma, R P, or PPU Brass.

Take a look at what Nathan Foster has to say at www.ballisticstudies.com
He is quite experienced and communicates well on the matter. I prefer the softer .375 bullets for NA game. I dropped a cow elk at about 120 yards with a Hawk 300 sp with .050 jacket. 2"+ exit hole. Autonomic plexus hit, one broken leg. Rear-on shot a whitey doe at about same distance with same bullet. Entered under pelvis, above mammaries, hit bottom of liver, heavily bruised and shredded both lungs and separated heart from everything. 2" exit below white neck patch, dropping her hard enough that the deer beside her both turned to look at her before trotting away.
Results can be delayed with harder bullets in softer animals. Nilgai can soak up some hits, so be prepared.

270 gr TSX bullets have been working well for me. Big 1,000 lb Roosevelt elk dropped in 10 steps after a catastrophic top of the heart shot. This included hitting a rib on the far side that left a 5" crater.