375 H&H Dangerous Game build?

I do a pretty good job of protecting my ears- messed up last year and shot an elk with a muzzle braked 338 Lapua improved with no ear on. I will never do that again.
Forgetting to get the ear pro in a fast hunting situation keeps me from having muzzle brakes on hunting rifles. Keep in mind surgeons can do great work when fixing shoulders, I know I have my right one redone 3 times, none were due to recoil.

Hearing is much harder and maybe impossible to repair, so take your pick if you are shooting a big boomer.

Just my two cents,
wade

22" 375 HH dangerous game lefty for your viewing pleasure!!!!
20210629_192415.jpg
20210629_192244.jpg
20210629_192220.jpg

Interarms Mauser, Brown Precision Stock, 20" Douglas Barrel, 3 Position Safety, Canjar Trigger. Express Sights, .375 H&H, about 40 years old now.

Works great, but what I've learned along the way is doing it today the Pre-64 Model 70 would get the nod. Maybe a Jewel trigger, I'd lose the express sights. Muzzle break, Bartlein Carbon Fiber barrel, or fluted. I'd get a 1-9" twist to handle every bullet out there today. I'd go with a Mcmillan Stock, probably a Lazzeroni Thumbhole I have one I really like on another rifle. Probably target 9lbs scoped, 10-12 is just a little on the slow side for fast work.

Consider the Weatherby, or AI version, and you can always use the H&H rounds in a pinch, and a bit more pep with heavy bullets, and enough velocity improvement to add some range for plains game etc.

I looked at the Defiant, 3 position safety CRF, and that looks like an excellent starting point as well. It might make me give up on the Model 70.

Good Luck!
Now this is my kind of .375 H&H.... long ago I owned one of the Interarms Mark X Mauser's "Whitworth" it was an "amazingly" accurate and reliable rifle, yep.. that was in my Elmer Keith dyas, love it'..., traded it off for a Sako .375 H&H sold it a month later wishing I'd kept the Whitworth.

Interarms Mauser, Brown Precision Stock, 20" Douglas Barrel, 3 Position Safety, Canjar Trigger. Express Sights, .375 H&H, about 40 years old now.

Works great, but what I've learned along the way is doing it today the Pre-64 Model 70 would get the nod. Maybe a Jewel trigger, I'd lose the express sights. Muzzle break, Bartlein Carbon Fiber barrel, or fluted. I'd get a 1-9" twist to handle every bullet out there today. I'd go with a Mcmillan Stock, probably a Lazzeroni Thumbhole I have one I really like on another rifle. Probably target 9lbs scoped, 10-12 is just a little on the slow side for fast work.

Consider the Weatherby, or AI version, and you can always use the H&H rounds in a pinch, and a bit more pep with heavy bullets, and enough velocity improvement to add some range for plains game etc.

I looked at the Defiant, 3 position safety CRF, and that looks like an excellent starting point as well. It might make me give up on the Model 70.

Good Luck!
That is a GREAT set up. I have many Mark X's, Brown Precision stocks and Douglas tubes.

I would probably go with 22", peep sight and patridge front sight.

I am finding more and more PHs wear hearing protection. I can't imagine not doing so even if the rifle has no muzzle brake; brake or no brake, constant exposure to gunfire is going to cause hearing loss. I only recognize 34% of spoken words from my left ear.
I'm at 28% and 2% caused by the aforementioned no hearing protection.

Recent Posts