375 H&H Dangerous Game build?

Then find an outfitter with PHs who knows how to protect themselves accordingly and accommodate the client's needs, and best of all, not shoot you.
I am finding more and more PHs wear hearing protection. I can't imagine not doing so even if the rifle has no muzzle brake; brake or no brake, constant exposure to gunfire is going to cause hearing loss. I only recognize 34% of spoken words from my left ear.

I am finding more and more PHs wear hearing protection. I can't imagine not doing so even if the rifle has no muzzle brake; brake or no brake, constant exposure to gunfire is going to cause hearing loss. I only recognize 34% of spoken words from my left ear.
Yes Sir! That's exactly my point. I spent my first 10 years in flight line aircraft maintenance in the USAF and have always used PPEs.

25+ years, I still use them. I am one of those people that use gloves, boots, and hearing and eye protection when operating a mower and other high noise level household tools and equipment.

I realize that the original question was about a custom build, but I bought and used a CZ 550 Safari in 375H&H for my trip the Africa ten years ago. That was before "brakes" were common and with a decent recoil pad it was EVERYTHING that I could have dreamed of-VERY manageable recoil, not too heavy to pack/carry, and with the (now discontinued) 1.5-6 Leupold was a great African rifle. And I didn't have to wait to have it built which added to my practice time-Which is vital IMHO when going after that which bites, claws, gores or stomps back LOL.

I realize that the original question was about a custom build, but I bought and used a CZ 550 Safari in 375H&H for my trip the Africa ten years ago. That was before "brakes" were common and with a decent recoil pad it was EVERYTHING that I could have dreamed of-VERY manageable recoil, not too heavy to pack/carry, and with the (now discontinued) 1.5-6 Leupold was a great African rifle. And I didn't have to wait to have it built which added to my practice time-Which is vital IMHO when going after that which bites, claws, gores or stomps back LOL.
Your point is valid; I would never build a custom .375 unless it was a LR rig, but that is hardly something suitable for buffalo (I did shoot one at 308 yards once with my 416 RM and the next day my hunting buddy used my rifle [he had a double 470 and a bolt .375] to shoot one at 350). Minute of a buffalo/eland/elephant is an easy accuracy feat.

If I could find a new 375 with Stainless barrel I would consider it, not finding anything in stock. Also I have had some bad experiences with used guns. This will also be used on coastal bears in Alaska, no wood and no blued barrels. I also like the idea on staying with a Remington style safety (something I am very familiar with) which I think CZ is very similar.

It Sounds like a sweet build for sure.. i'll give my 2 cents on it.. and how i would build it and how I've built them before and they are slick!! also one word of advise stick with what you know and are comfy with.. nothing spells trouble like switching a simple thing like the safety too throw you off in the heat of things

defiance deviant ultra lite nitrided every piece on it nitrided DLC
trigger tech special timed and tuned for that action
Control round feed but with rem style saftey WHY because you use too it!! and its what you know
#5 kreiger or maybe #6 depends on you really, fluted however if you want nitrided also 22-23" chambered in 375 HH
Mcmillan winchester express inletted for the defiance
barrel band swivel
NO BRAKE!

very clean simple setup! if it were me building a purposeful DG rifle I would not put open sights on it !! I would run a lower power optic for my main (which in all reality will never fail and honestly how many guys have you ever known personally that there scope failed and they couldn't physically shoot at 50 yards), then i would have a small red dot reflex sight like an RMR or which ever you prefer BUT high quality that can bolt too a pic rail mount easily already zeroed. traveling I always have my fixit kit and that optic in its little case .. if your main optic goes down you can swap out on less than 5 minutes for an easy back up! simple ... bullet proof!
Thank you very much for the info. As you know guns supplies are really hard to find. I am looking at an in stock SS #5 Brux barrel through Southern Precision (Bugholes), they can also do the fluting for me. Mcmillan can have a "Mcmillan Hunter" to me in 3 months, already have the Defiance Deviant Hunter. Any thoughts? This would allow me to get it completed by end of August for a Alaska Brown Bear hunt.
Thanks for your help Jeff

Thank you very much for the info. As you know guns supplies are really hard to find. I am looking at an in stock SS #5 Brux barrel through Southern Precision (Bugholes), they can also do the fluting for me. Mcmillan can have a "Mcmillan Hunter" to me in 3 months, already have the Defiance Deviant Hunter. Any thoughts? This would allow me to get it completed by end of August for a Alaska Brown Bear hunt.
Thanks for your help Jeff
There is nothing wrong with any of those parts you've listed .. Brux makes a hell of a Barrel.. If the action isn't nitrided or DLC coated .. do it.. you'll thank me later .. sounds like your on your way too a kick *** build

I have an old 300 H&H model 70 Win. For sale on LRH, you can have it for 900 bucks, Best part about the pre 64 Model 70 is the cone breach that will feed reliably when set up properly, and the controlled feeding in the event you short stroke the action in a tense situation, any action with out the controlled feeding, you'll end up trying to push 2 rounds in the bbl at once. Probably not the best situation when your about to get bit , stomped, or gored. The old trigger on the model 70 can be set up nice, and it's almost dirt proof, and will function under conditions that will stop most triggers in their tracks.. One more plus is the ejector, I've seen the spring loaded plungers stick down when frozen, dirty, rusty spring, and small brass shavings will make it inoperable. When you show up in camp with an old model 70, your guide will think, now there's a guy that knows what the hell he's doing !! Looks like I should have been a used car salesman . Good Luck
Charlie Brown Jr will you give me a call about your Model 70 Eric 904-449-3066

The Winchester 70 CRF action with a as Timney or original tuned trigger do this well!

I had a 458 Lott built off that by Dennis Olson. Works very reliably! I would consider a 22" barrel, especially if short shots are the norm. If a 458 Lott can make good in 22", most others can as well.
American hunting rifle or someone like Olson's Gunsmithing can get this built right for you.
Remember, the reason for expensive custom actions is accuracy, not reliability. The Winchester 70 can do reliability for you with good accuracy.

Also, look onto NECG sights. They are the benchmark. I might also consider a rmr type Red Dot cowitness also.

Last edited:
Interarms Mauser, Brown Precision Stock, 20" Douglas Barrel, 3 Position Safety, Canjar Trigger. Express Sights, .375 H&H, about 40 years old now.

Works great, but what I've learned along the way is doing it today the Pre-64 Model 70 would get the nod. Maybe a Jewel trigger, I'd lose the express sights. Muzzle break, Bartlein Carbon Fiber barrel, or fluted. I'd get a 1-9" twist to handle every bullet out there today. I'd go with a Mcmillan Stock, probably a Lazzeroni Thumbhole I have one I really like on another rifle. Probably target 9lbs scoped, 10-12 is just a little on the slow side for fast work.

Consider the Weatherby, or AI version, and you can always use the H&H rounds in a pinch, and a bit more pep with heavy bullets, and enough velocity improvement to add some range for plains game etc.

I looked at the Defiant, 3 position safety CRF, and that looks like an excellent starting point as well. It might make me give up on the Model 70.

Good Luck!

No Way on the Jewel trigger! Waaaay too finicky about dust and dirt. I got rid of all of mine on hunting rifles because of failures to cock and failures to fire.