.375 GSC 414 VS CEB 425 at 2050 yards

Looks pretty good. I was honestly surprised when those GSC bullets dropped that much below the CEB bullets. They did shoot extremely well however and as you well know, its easy to set up a drop chart to comp for bullet drop as long as the load is accurate and consistant.

Good work. I thought I heard you mention that you were having trouble seeing the bullet impacts from recoil movement on the video. That surprises me as well as my XHS in my 375 AM driving the 350 gr SMK @ 3300 fps are easy to watch bullet impact at ranges over 500 yards.

Perhaps my XHS is a heavier rifle. The large PK muzzle brake may have something to do with that as well.

Anyway, great shooting. Odd to watch a video of shooting in the mountains when the impact dust cloud just hangs there for several seconds. Nice to get a morning like that to shoot in but can be a pain with mirage with very light winds at times.

Good shooting, good video, good report, thanks.

Thanks Kirby :)

I was surprised as well with the height difference & was looking above the target for the strike not way below it, took me a while to come to grips with what my spotter was telling me.

The main problems I had were heat from the barrel coupled with a crap shooting position, 16 degrees up with the tall harris into soft dirt is a little wiggly....

A couple of times I lost the sight picture, also the sight picture was blurry with barrel mirage a lot of the time.

The rig weighs 21lbs all up so not really a heavy weight by American standards

There is a big difference in recoil between a 350 at 3300 & a 425 at 3130.

The extra gas volume & velocity coupled with the lighter weight projectile make the brakes job a lot easier.

I have some comparitive tests to do with some of the bigger brakes available, should be interesting, so many projects so little time :)

I agree, once you hit 300 grains of bullet weight, you can noticeably feel every additional 25 grains of bullet being added after that.

When I was testing some of the old Wildcat bullet prototypes, we got up to a 380 gr 338 bullet. I was able to drive them to 3200 fps in a 32" in barrel length with comfortable pressures. While the recoil from the 300 gr SMK loaded to 3300-3350 fps was warm and fuzzy, the 380s were noticeably heavier in recoil.

21 lbs is plenty of rifle. My standard XHS rifles come in at around 19.5 lbs with NF NXS and a 9-13 swivel base Harris bolted on so similar to your rig. I would agree that shooting at that uphill angle from a flat surface would be far from ideal!!!

I hear you about needing more time for projects. Just a short list of projects I need to get finished up this year include:

-300 Raptor load development & ballistic testing
-338 Raptor load development & ballistic testing
-Super Painkiller R&D and testing
-458 Allen Magnum load development and ballistic testing
-510 Maximus load development and ballistic testing

Right now I am in the busy rush time of year for customer so most of my testing is left to the evenings and weekends when possible so not much gets done until after the first of the year.

The 458 Allen Magnum might interest you, we got some custom made 575 gr VLD solids made up from Lehigh bullets that should have a BC in .875 to .900 range and in the 458 AM I am predicting a conservative 3400 fps for velocity with 3500 possible in a 32" barrel length. Should be fun!!

I agree, once you hit 300 grains of bullet weight, you can noticeably feel every additional 25 grains of bullet being added after that.

When I was testing some of the old Wildcat bullet prototypes, we got up to a 380 gr 338 bullet. I was able to drive them to 3200 fps in a 32" in barrel length with comfortable pressures. While the recoil from the 300 gr SMK loaded to 3300-3350 fps was warm and fuzzy, the 380s were noticeably heavier in recoil.

21 lbs is plenty of rifle. My standard XHS rifles come in at around 19.5 lbs with NF NXS and a 9-13 swivel base Harris bolted on so similar to your rig. I would agree that shooting at that uphill angle from a flat surface would be far from ideal!!!

I hear you about needing more time for projects. Just a short list of projects I need to get finished up this year include:

-300 Raptor load development & ballistic testing
-338 Raptor load development & ballistic testing
-Super Painkiller R&D and testing
-458 Allen Magnum load development and ballistic testing
-510 Maximus load development and ballistic testing

Right now I am in the busy rush time of year for customer so most of my testing is left to the evenings and weekends when possible so not much gets done until after the first of the year.

The 458 Allen Magnum might interest you, we got some custom made 575 gr VLD solids made up from Lehigh bullets that should have a BC in .875 to .900 range and in the 458 AM I am predicting a conservative 3400 fps for velocity with 3500 possible in a 32" barrel length. Should be fun!!

Sounds like fun :)

That 458 is on the 50 BMG case ?

I'm waiting for my 50 to show up, will be fun with my Custom 416 Barrett.

They still are way behind the big 375s :D

Yes, its based on a 50 BMG, but modified to my Allen Mag shoulder design and body taper. The neck location is same as the 50 BMG but the neck has been shortened as there is no need for that long of a neck when necked down to 458. Just looks a lot better.

If it will hit my goals, it will finally take the performance level with this case to a level where it should be. I agree, the 50 BMG is a dog ballistically but still a load of fun to shoot!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.