.375 Cheytac Build...PICS!

Would that be wildcat bullets?

Have searched a little but unable to find a supply for the .375 350gr bullets. If you have any supplier/price/Bc information that would be appreciated.

Basically I'm looking into it as a possible alternative to the 338LM as I'm going heavy anyway...

Sierra Match King 350 gr. BC is nearly identical to the 338 300 SMK.

Graf's had some, bulk, bought 100. Ordered 200 more with the build.

If anyone would consider upping the bullet weight and BC just a little it may well be Wildcat. A bc of around .9 would keep it supersonic to 3K possibly.

As far as rifle weight goes, with a little ingenuity one can be made to work very well under the 16# Idaho limit.

Sierra Match King 350 gr. BC is nearly identical to the 338 300 SMK.

Graf's had some, bulk, bought 100. Ordered 200 more with the build.

If anyone would consider upping the bullet weight and BC just a little it may well be Wildcat. A bc of around .9 would keep it supersonic to 3K possibly.

As far as rifle weight goes, with a little ingenuity one can be made to work very well under the 16# Idaho limit.
Roy,
Can you explain why Idaho has a weight limit on their rifles ? We don't have any kind of rule like that were I'm from.

Thanks

bigbuck

The weight limit thing includes, rifle, bases, rings, scope and any other attachment to the rifle.

There is no specific explination as to why, other than it was Idaho's attempt to exclude big game hunting with a 50 BMG rifle. most of those easily weighing more than 16lbs.

They couldn't ban 50 caliber rifles, so they went after the weight of the rifle instead. I know, Doesn't make much sense, they should have just said the 50 BMG is illegal to hunt with and let us pack whatever sack of bricks we wanted to hunt with.....

Dan

As I heard the story, some fish cops or some one came across some fellas plunking elk from the next mountain over. The just happened to be using a 50 BMG cartridge.

My opinion is that there was only problem was that the fellas were successful in harvesting elk from way over there........ I suppose that would be unethical to some, most probably the fish cops who think they own the herds and figger a fella otta spend many days traipsing around attempting to cross paths with an elk or other critter.

As Dan said the easiest way to limit this kind of hunting is to eliminate the 50 BMG cartridge use by reducing the weight limit to 16 lbs.

An under 16# 338 or 375 AM/Snipe Tac/Chey Tac isn't that hard to build and they are very effective LRH rifles.

This limit applies only to "big game" as I understand it.

Big game in Idaho includes Deer, Elk, Antelope, Mtn Goats, Sheep, Mtn Lion and wolf. Not sure if the list is complete but its close.

LRH is kept pretty quiet while out in the bushes. If anyone asks "whats under that camo", I just say "my rifle" and it ends there.

Some of my ambush spots are on old logging roads and strollers come by. The rifle is always under the snow/rain shield or in the bivvy.

Conversations are about the optics, long lens on the camera or anything but the rifle.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.