.375 chamberings for ELR hunting and shooting

Yes, I absolutely agree. Your PH can confirm the local standards and his preference for loads. The local experience is invaluable. On my first plains game hunt, I wondered about my PH's advice to "just bring the heavier Remington Core-Locks" to hunt with. It was his turf; I did, and everything went well for a great hunt.
Ask early, ask often, and pay attention to the details.

On the original subject of ELR rifles, can any of y'all identify this chassis? If so then does it come in a left version?
Yes I shot and know this rifle well, its a McRee chassis, it was originally chambered in a 375 Snipetac back in 2016 the last couple years its been chambered into a 375FU less case capacity then the Snipetac but more efficient less powder more speed. We had to much wasted space in the case when it was a 375 Snipetac even with RL33 & RL50. Been pushing the 361 grain solids.

Both pictures were from the 2017 King of 2 mile event, Mr McRee standing in one as well.
78B945CB-63BD-4DA4-A1AD-A9BD8D418A37.png

Dave Kiff did the latest reamer for us.

osoh

Last edited:
My trusty 26 inch barreled .458 win mag has been on big bear hunts and African safaris. It has gotten the Big 5 on two trips. Using 500 solids and 510 soft points for the big stuff. 405 grain barnes X for lions and larger plains game.

As a second rifle for small stuff the trusty 300 win mag and 300 wsm came along on the hunts. We were going after the baboons and the 270AI was a fun addition.

Within a few years, I'm looking to travel the world and hunt game of every size. Including Kodiak bear, Cape buffalo, and maybe a giraffe if I can. To be able to safely take these game and abide by whatever laws that are set in their area I need a cartridge with a caliber of at least .375. I've been looking at four cartridges to push the new heavier bullets fast: 375 Cheytac, 375 Snipetac, 375 Mercenary, and the 375 Mjolnir. I am not an expert on any of these chambering's but from my limited knowledge the 375 Cheytac requires a cheytac length action of course and can push 350 grain bullets at around 3100 ft./s, it seems that the snipetac is an improved version of the Cheytac which gains velocity and im assuming trys to mitigate case growth however I am unsure of how much velocity it gains. The 375 mercenary seems to be a wildcat created by swamplord based on the Cheytac action and bolt face however it has a longer overall length and sharper shoulders allowing the same bullet to be pushed faster. The Mjolnir on the other hand looks to be the derivative of an improved 500 Jeffrey therefore not on the Cheytac action but I do not know if It can be mag fed with a 350 match king, this looks the safest of the options barrel life wise However I have zero knowledge on any of the ballistics for how fast It can push anything. I would like to know more about the three Wildcats and each of their benefits upon the 375 Cheytac. If anyone has first-hand knowledge with these I would like to know brass availability if possible or any other knowledge you would be willing to share.

-Coercionist
I built a .375 AI on a P14 Enfield with an E.R Shaw barrel, it shoots the 300 gr. Barnes real good at ELR, I highly recommend it.

Yes I shot and know this rifle well, its a McRee chassis, it was originally chambered in a 375 Snipetac back in 2016 the last couple years its been chambered into a 375FU less case capacity then the Snipetac but more efficient less powder more speed. We had to much wasted space in the case when it was a 375 Snipetac even with RL33 & RL50. Been pushing the 361 grain solids.

Both pictures were from the 2017 King of 2 mile event, Mr McRee standing in one as well.View attachment 315666

Dave Kiff did the latest reamer for us.

osoh
@Jeff Heeg osoh
Real nice rifle.
For us unifromed, what is the 375FU?

Shortened up the case 100 thou to get rid of some wasted space and make the round more efficient but also to allow the Higher BC bullets to be used in the mag versus SMKs and the like.

Osoh
Thank you Osoh. Another ignorant question, do you still shoot it in the 375 H&H, or you need to have the "correct" chamber.

If you want to shoot a Cape buffalo, giraffe, and a brown bear do yourself a favor and get a light weight 375 H&H. Your shots will be under 300 yards. You will be at a complete disadvantage carrying a 20lb 375cheytac. Believe me I have killed all three animals. I took my 338-408 Cheytac to Africa hunting and I ended up using my professional hunters 8lb 375 H&H to kill my animals. If you were going on a long range elk hunt out west I would suggest getting a cheytac. In this case your wasting everyone's time. Yours and the guides. The animals dont care if they were hit with a 375 Chevy tac or a 375 H&H.

If you want to shoot a Cape buffalo, giraffe, and a brown bear do yourself a favor and get a light weight 375 H&H. Your shots will be under 300 yards. You will be at a complete disadvantage carrying a 20lb 375cheytac. Believe me I have killed all three animals. I took my 338-408 Cheytac to Africa hunting and I ended up using my professional hunters 8lb 375 H&H to kill my animals. If you were going on a long range elk hunt out west I would suggest getting a cheytac. In this case your wasting everyone's time. Yours and the guides. The animals dont care if they were hit with a 375 Chevy tac or a 375 H&H.
100% true. You only need enough rifle to kill the critter in question reliably.

I have a tiny little .375-.338 WM & I can get 2550 fps with 300 gr. bullets (12 twist) & 2850 with 250 gr. bullets. I got it for companionship while fishing in Alaska. It has open sights & a 3-9X40 Zeiss scope that can be quick mounted. It weighs less than 8 pounds, including a real thick recoil pad. Using the scope, I can get smaller than 4-inch groups at 300. I used H4350 & RL15 depending. Now during these difficult times of shortages, I use 4000MR. I successfully killed a 8-pound rodent with it at about 225 yards using the 270 grain Speer spbt & 4000MR. Ammo easily fits in my 3.34 COAL magazine/magnum rifle. I'm confident that it could kill a bigger beast, if required. Solid copper bullets should penetrate well.

Is it true that in some distant countries, like in Africa, ammo/brass head stamps & caliber marked on rifle barrel need to match? Having some obscure wild cat with a funny caliber marked on barrel, not matching accompanying ammunition, may not be allowed entry by foreign customs or require a hefty "security" fee (bribe) or protracted negotiations,

Last edited:
How about pushing a a really good bullet in a 375 Ruger? How much do you need to shoot how far ???
I went with the 375 Ruger route, will look at increasing the rifle throat for the longer bullets, but similar desires for my bucket list hunting; Cape buffalo, and others in Africa, as well as Bison and others in North America.

Recent Posts