375-50BMG

G

New to this sight,taking a big step up from 75amax in 22-250.Anybody else shoot a 375-50bmg?Just pickt up a States Arms in this caliber & in need of reloading info.
T&b640.jpg

The gun came with dies,100cases,150 Barnes 250 grain bullets & 10 rounds loaded with 208grains of 872 behind a 250 barnes(only reloading info I have at the time).Havent run a round through the crony yet but was told they were running 4000+.The nasty crosswind we had at the range last sat made hitting A 3" gong diffecult with everything but the 375.I too think a 400grain MK would be the cats meo for this rig but the heavyest I'v found so far is 300Barns & 300grain Lost River=CJ

I'd seen the Mack V a few years ago. Sounds very interesting. Wound be nice if Sierra made a 375 cal MatchKing in say 350-400gr. I imagine you could realy send those bullets into the next time zone. What bullets and speeds are you running right now? Or have you not gotten that far yet?

It seems to me that the last time I looked State Arms had some load that was clocked @5300fps. Maybe I'm dreaming but if it was that's damned fast.

You might contact Gerard Schultz of GS Custom. He would probably jump at the chance to develope a new bullet for you.

But being that I've never even loaded for a BMG or anything based on that case I couldn't help you with load data. But there are several suppliers of surplus WC872.

I just checked the site, and I was right it was clocked @5300fps. With a solid bronze bullet of unspecified weight or manufacure.

For those of you who have not seen this monster here is a picture off the web site.
375-50.jpg

The top is the 50BMG with the Mach V below.

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: txhunter ]

I feel it would be interesting to neck down the .408 cheytac or the .416PGW to the .375 bore dia. I know Ross has all ready called this the .375 PGW, but has not chambered a rifle for this as of yet. It makes more sense in this bore size to me than the .398 that others are are asking for. The .375 caliber allows for readily available barrels and bullets. It just require's a bullet with a higher B.C. # like the .408. I'm no expert , but I bet this combo would probably come close to the same performance as the .375/50 with a lot less powder used in loading.

Warren,
I'm thinking the same thing on all counts.

Mach5,
Warren Jensen might make you some high BC J40 bullets for that 375. He can for my 416, which reminds me, I have to call him about it. He may also be able to go with a high BC 400gr pill too, but will the twist rate you have stabilize it is the question he could answer too.

Warren-
People are asking about a .398 CheyTac because the folks involved with the .408 mentioned it first. Its design goal is to have virtually the same performance as the .408, but be legal for 1,000yard Benchrest, which has a caliber limit of .400".

Barrels are not a big issue because the maker of .408 barrels can also make them in .398 (or whatever the customer wants).

Lee,
the .375 though would have a higher BC than the .398 given both were 400gr bullets of the same J40 desighn.

The .375 bore is drilled by all MFG's too, not just one. That's the bad thing I guess with the .408 too if Kriegers not your favorite one. Krieger would be a top choice in my book though.

One could always sell a common caliber rifle more easily than one that isn't, even in a specialized cartridge as these.

I imagine Warren J. could desighn a .375" 400gr bullet with over a 1.0 BC with not much problem if the .408" 419gr is running a .940 BC. His 200gr .30 cals have a BC of .797 and the 220gr a BC of .930 so it wouldn't be a stretch.

Mach5 great to see you here!!!! I'm still argueing on the other site.. some people just won't beleive the facts.....

Lee

Have been asking about the 408 and the legallity of such in match shooting.

At the meeting after the Banquet (Carol and I were in Colorado hunting) the question was asked and here is what I have been told.

The Rule reads "No caliber larger then 40 "Caliber" may be used at the range at any time." It does not say--No bullet over .400" shall be allowed.

The .308 Bullet IS a 30 Caliber round, the .408 is a 40 caliber round.
Therefore a 40 cal round ceases to be 40 caliber when the bullet diameter reaches .410" at which time it is a 41 Caliber.
The 40 Caliber status is still a 40 caliber even at .409".

Unless the wording is changed to say the actual bullet diameter limits of .400", the 408 is a legal bullet for match shooting as per the present rules because it does, in fact, fall into the 40 Caliber status and is "NOT" larger then 40 Caliber.

Darryl Cassel

Thanks for the input guys,need all the help I can find.
WyoWhisper
Kinda bull headed aint they,well I'm shure it wouldnt take to long at the range with a cross wind blowing to prove your point.Wasnt a doubter in the bunch last saterday after I got done with the 375&50 BMGs=CJ

I'm with you there Darryl. So thats the official word from the head "PUBA"? I mean if you get the magic group or score next week with one, another definition isn't going to pop up that disqualifies you is it?

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.