37" Mulie in Yard

Long Time Long Ranger

This year has been the year of the Mulie here with all the early snows pushing them down before the rut. I have seen several + 35" bucks and numerous +30" ones. During the rut I had a couple +30's non-typical and typical chasing does through my yard. But yesterday I was awed by one I felt was 37" that fed around in my yard most of the day with a few does and smaller bucks. The -30 degree temps and snow I guess has them looking for a warm spot and food. He had triple forks which is beautiful but extremely rare. I can count on my hand the mulies I have seen in the field with triple forks on both sides and that goes back many years of glassing. Off the main beam he had brow tines, then big forks, another set of big forks, and then the big forks typicaly on the front of the rack. A beautiful 7x7 typical mulie 37" wide. No tag, season over! Hopefully me or my son will draw this unit next year and find him on the summer range above the house during season. I got my camera ready for morning to get a picture of him. Will post if I do.

Good luck drawing a tag, I hope it works out for you. Sounds like a really great buck.

Looking forward for the picture. Get him in camera this year, and lets hope you get him with your rifle next year.

If on YOUR property can you shoot as a land owner, here in Pa if you have crop damage you can get a permit to shoot year round for crop damage.
Know of some one that planted 100 Christmas trees and deer promply ate half, planted 100 more deer ate more, got permit from PGC (Pa game comm.) now shoots deer year round when he has too.

Which unit was that and where are they in the fall. Haha. I would not tell a sole. Seeing animals like that is one of the reasons I live where I do. In a life time of hunting I have only seen 3 bucks that were of that size while hunting. If not for it being cold and early snow this winter and with them still chasing does, at least here, you would have to be lucky to see that buck. Hope he gets through the winter and you have a crack at him next season.

He did not show this morning. I live in a trophy unit none of us have drawn in three years. We see really big bucks on a regular basis but we can't hunt without a tag. They will not let us shoot on a depredation permit in this area.

I shot a 7x7 muley this year, lots of days out running ridges, caught him in tight timber on my way off the top. I LOVE big muleys, just started hunting them abuot 5 yrs. ago, should have been doing it when I was younger

A copy of the current world record from the B&C website. note the spread. Also note the spread of the first 200 or so mule deer in the B&C record book.

SCORE: 226 4/8LOCATION: Dolores County, CO HUNTER: Doug Burris, Jr. OWNER: Cabela's, Inc. DATE: 1972 KEY MEASUREMENTS:
Length of main beam: Right 30 1/8 - Left 28 6/8
Inside spread: 30 7/8
Circ. of smallest place between burr and first point: Right 5 2/8 - Left 5 3/8
Number of points: Right 6 - Left 5

Bud, most hunters for muleys are relating to the outside spread in general, is what I have seem to found even though that is not how they are scored. But take a bull moose and that is the spread credit. I was at a local gunsmith, avid muley hunter, first thing he did was throw a tape on the outside spread. It is just another reference, and it is also noted on offical score sheet. My muley this year is 32-1/2 greatest, 25-1/2 inside

Bud, most hunters for muleys are relating to the outside spread in general, is what I have seem to found even though that is not how they are scored. But take a bull moose and that is the spread credit. I was at a local gunsmith, avid muley hunter, first thing he did was throw a tape on the outside spread. It is just another reference, and it is also noted on offical score sheet. My muley this year is 32-1/2 greatest, 25-1/2 inside

That's the way we do it around our neck of the woods outside to outside it just looks alot better on the tape:D Sounds better to.

Bigbuck

Bud, every mule deer hunter in the world uses outside spread. That is how they are field judged. Extremely wide mule deer do poorly in the B&C measurements because it is a deduction when the spread is wider than the main beam length. That is why mulies under 30" inside do so well in the books. I have seen a number of mule deer larger than Dougs but either they were to wide and the deduction brought them under his and/or sticker tines brought it down. It is extremely uncommon for a huge old age class mulie to not develop sticker tines that cost B&C points. B&C is for that perfect rack. I don't agree with it. If he grows it score it. I have hunted many times on the ridge where Doug got that #1 buck. A few years later me, Kurt Darner and a colorado DOW employee hunted one that looked just like him which was probably his son. Me and the dow guy hunted him with a bow but never got close enough for a shot. He was never seen on the winter grounds. We think a hunter hit him and lost him during the rifle season because there was talk from another texas hunter who said he shot one bigger than Dougs but never found it. A lion could have got him. Also a year later word got out that a local guy poached the largest mule deer anybody there had ever seen with a rifle between bow and gun season. Several guys interviewed had seen the rack but it had been disposed of when it got hot on the guy.

Im jealous of where you are hunting :):). Sounds like you are in world class areas. I've heard that comment about the abs from many other muley hunters also, being a whitey hunter and horn hunter for years I hadnt seen that. I thought it was more of a genetic thing, I find that very interesting. That is why I AM SURPRISED tha the MT typical or world are not larger, compared to a whitey or when you look at how many 200+ non typs are taken. GIVE me junk any day

Your a bit defensive ain't you? all I did was post a copy of the world record buck, seems like the one you seen was bigger. hope you get him I would love to see the pic. I am more than a little curious as to how you measure a live buck however. I have seen several hundred deer shot over the years and they all seem to get smaller when they hit the ground. ( mine included ) I have also scored lots of deer that were 200 inch deer and 30 wide on a bar stool, but when I taped them on a work bench they were much closer to 160 and 24 wide ( still a very nice deer ) A buck that is 30 wide anywhere on his rack is a very big buck. As a prime example we killed a very nice buck this year that many people had seen over the fall, most guesses were in the 35-38 inch range. the tape said 26 inside the main beam ( it was the widest point ) when people look at it even dead on the skull they guess over 30. point is there is NO substitute for a tape measure. I personally have never seen one big dead as everyone thought it was alive. yours could be the exception, I hope you get a chance at him.

If you guys want to reed a good book about backpack hunting and trophy mulies you shood pick this book up.

Public Land Mulies
The Bottom Line
By David W. Long

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.