37 1/2" Mule Deer

.......My personal belief- before I ever saw this animal- is that our current system of measurement over values bucks built like white tails, and under values qualities of the bucks that make a western hunter drool.

......I use the 100 yard alfalfa field test. You have 1 bullet and two bucks are side by side 100 yards away- which one do you want?

.....Which was the better buck? BC scoring doesn't tell the whole story of the animal.

......Maybe mass deplacement (water tank) would be best for mulies. Plus a width height measurement.......

1) Current system has flaws.
2) I could go with displacement, but then adding height-width, gets back into the "eye of the beholder". A person shooting wide bucks, could at some point, want a tall buck.
3) Regional genetic differences exist.
4) Shooting what appeals to you is the best measure.

A very nice buck any way you measure it.

A rack like that won't score as high as a narrow tall forked rack. This buck dwarfs a 189 5x5 I took last year, but probably doesn't "score" better. I only put a tape across his width.

My personal belief- before I ever saw this animal- is that our current system of measurement over values bucks built like white tails, and under values qualities of the bucks that make a western hunter drool.

I use the 100 yard alfalfa field test. You have 1 bullet and two bucks are side by side 100 yards away- which one do you want? That is the better buck. And that brings into it the animal. I have seen a 23" Muley score 195 and probably weigh the same, and he looked like he had a beehive hairdo. On the same trip a hunter took a 190 30" 4-4 that weighed over 350lbs.

Which was the better buck? BC scoring doesn't tell the whole story of the animal.

Maybe mass deplacement (water tank) would be best for mulies. Plus a width height measurement.

Thanks
You are correct people are scoring inches of antler and not the entire animal or the experience of the hunt one of my greatest trophies is also one of the lowest scoring
bucks I have taken hardest hunt and longest shot to date made him the trophy he truly was

Old Mexico buck? Seems like they have a great genetic for width down there. I would have shot him in a heartbeat!!!