.360 jump

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by thork91, Jun 16, 2018.

1. thork91

thork91 Active Member

I had a custom bartlein barrel installed 300 WSW to touch the lands it is 3.240 to fit in my mag area its 2.880 that's a 360 jump. Is this to much, original jump with other barrel was only 50ths. Is this ok or what can I do? Was chamber cut to much? I'm using 185 gr Berger

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  2. Ckleeves

Ckleeves Well-Known Member

Something isn’t right. I’m not sure what 185 your using but with my math (could be wrong, I’m half asleep) your only getting .044 of bullet (not counting the boat tail) into the case neck when loaded to the lands. That’s with a 185 hybrid.

360 thou is a ton of jump. Can’t say I have ever tried to get anything to jump that far. I would contact whoever chambered it and see what they did. They may be able to set it back and get you closer to where you need to be. I’m not real familiar with the wsm but that throat almost has to be for something like a 230 hybrid in a long action.

You didn’t say what action you have but with the WSM’s I have played with if your going to be loading Bergers it certainly helps to have a extended magazine box. If that’s not an option then maybe look at the Berger classic hunters. They fit better in the WSM’s if you have magazine restrictions.

Best of luck. I would take this up with the builder.

3. DHBWA

DHBWA Well-Known Member

That is longer than a Weatherby freebore....wow...
    Check it with another more std cup and core bullet than call your smith with the info...

4. Rhovee

Rhovee Well-Known Member

It’s pretty obvious your chamber wasn’t cut for a 180 in mind. Most likely something in the 200-215 category. If your using a short action and can’t get a different magazine, then your stuck. I would make the most of it and run some H4831sc with a 212 eldx or 215 Berger and have fun. Single feeding isn’t an issue to me.

5. rfurman24

rfurman24 Well-Known Member

I don't know of any bullet requiring that much freebore. I would expect any good gunsmith to ask what bullet you intended to shoot when building a custom but it is this exact reason that I started having my own reamer made for all my customs.

6. Longtooth32

Longtooth32 Well-Known Member

I am jumping .3" with my 170 EOL Bergers in my 270 Wby with no ill effects....