358 wildcat

J E Custom

Just started another project for a relative and thought I would ask if anyone has experience with a 358/375 RUM.

The plan is to AI and neck down the 375 RUM with some changes in freebore and throat angle. I don't plan on anything exotic so loading won't be difficult.

Any experience and information with this combination would be appreciated.

J E CUSTOM

the rum brass have very thick necks. i'd use the 300 brass and push it out. also better brass options with the 300. my other thought would be why a 358?

the rum brass have very thick necks. i'd use the 300 brass and push it out. also better brass options with the 300. my other thought would be why a 358?

We talked about the neck thickness and with allowances made to the 375 reamer, He wants the thicker necks, so sizing down will keep the neck thickness close to the 375.

As to the 358 caliber, he has a 35 Whelen and wants to step it up. the case capacity increase will be approximately 40 to 45 grains over the 35 Whelen and should take advantage of some of the newer slow burn rate powders. It should be able to exceed 3000 ft/sec with a 250 grain bullet, Plus he just likes the 35 caliber.

J E CUSTOM

I had a custom 358 STA for a while, lot's of gun but I really didn't need it to shoot anything so I sold it. Helluva' round though...I shot it at night once and the muzzle blast shot about six feet out of the barrel!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts