357 Maximum Rifle, 225gr SBT

Thanks for all the replies. I need to give Mike Bellm a call. I tried and he left a message back and said he IS Mr 357 maximum. LOL

Jerry,
FYI - I actually authored the initial law for MI in 2009 and it took 5 years to get it passed. OH copied it for them as well. I am pretty proud of the impact it has had across several additional states (OH, IL, IO, MS) to allow the straight wall in shotgun zones. Youth, women, elderly have all benefited from it. The intent was strictly to increase hunting sustainability in MI recognizing there are additional benefits BUT my primary focus was on how can we pull youth back into the sport? Just seeing the added kids at the range shooting .44 Mag rifles, .357's etc clearly confirmed the result met the intent. Of course allowing the .450 BM didn't hurt either!!!

Accurate powder has good reloading data:
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/WPHandloading-Guide-7.0-Web-REV.pdf
See page 26 for .357 Max data. 1680 fills case up>100% but no risk of pressure it seems. The Hornady 200 gr FTX is about 2150 with their load data.

Speer data book also has good data for the .357 Max. The .357 max will stay with the .35 Rem easily and pass it to a certain extent.

Send me a PM and we can discuss more if you like unless there is desire to keep adding to thread.

I am also working on a 1.8" stretch of the Max and hope to have it at brass soon. Brass drawing done from RCBS software so all is ready except for getting brass and reamer. I am trying to get a reasonable brass price since it will only be a personal wildcat. The brass $$$ is getting scary for the min quantity they will produce. If I can pull it off, I think I will see another 100 fps or so to the Max But with better bullet seating options going forward.
Muddy
224 Weatherby brass might be an option. Not sure how the neck and shoulder would iron out.
Edit: stupid auto correct

Last edited:
Jerry,
FYI - I actually authored the initial law for MI in 2009 and it took 5 years to get it passed. OH copied it for them as well. I am pretty proud of the impact it has had across several additional states (OH, IL, IO, MS) to allow the straight wall in shotgun zones. Youth, women, elderly have all benefited from it. The intent was strictly to increase hunting sustainability in MI recognizing there are additional benefits BUT my primary focus was on how can we pull youth back into the sport? Just seeing the added kids at the range shooting .44 Mag rifles, .357's etc clearly confirmed the result met the intent. Of course allowing the .450 BM didn't hurt either!!!

Accurate powder has good reloading data:
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/WPHandloading-Guide-7.0-Web-REV.pdf
See page 26 for .357 Max data. 1680 fills case up>100% but no risk of pressure it seems. The Hornady 200 gr FTX is about 2150 with their load data.

Speer data book also has good data for the .357 Max. The .357 max will stay with the .35 Rem easily and pass it to a certain extent.

Send me a PM and we can discuss more if you like unless there is desire to keep adding to thread.

I am also working on a 1.8" stretch of the Max and hope to have it at brass soon. Brass drawing done from RCBS software so all is ready except for getting brass and reamer. I am trying to get a reasonable brass price since it will only be a personal wildcat. The brass $$$ is getting scary for the min quantity they will produce. If I can pull it off, I think I will see another 100 fps or so to the Max But with better bullet seating options going forward.
Muddy

Muddy,
If you get the stretched max going, let me know. I have been loading the max for my Encore and really like it. I think the stretched would be neat. Thanks for sharing your information. Ryan SE Iowa

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I need to give Mike Bellm a call. I tried and he left a message back and said he IS Mr 357 maximum. LOL
FWIW:

Mike Bellm knows his stuff and is businessperson.

I know this forum is near a year old.

Surprised to note the .357 Rem Max is a Long Range Forum topic, seeing it is really a 200 meter range round...which is, to many, long range.

The wee 357 Max, to me, is the perfect deer round and so on.

I confess to having an Encore Max, using MGM 17-inch bbl, with 17 pitch. (MGM does Bellm's long throat "leade" thing. And a better bbl would be hard to locate.)

I shoot this Encore as both pistol and rifle-legally-(MN has some very illogical laws) and pic is below, I think...am new-b here...so not sure.
IMO, all the bullet or gun a decent hunter needs and will accommodate most people with its mildness and ability.

(I agree the Winchester 350 pitch is just sales bullroar and as marketing item makes little strategic sense to me,)

BTW, Bellm will convert a Henry 357 single shot, though MGM bbls are the nuts.

In any case, the Max is "all there."
357Remington Maximum MGM TC.jpg

Last edited: