357 Magnum and Lil'Gun powder

Iron Worker

I have a 6"Ruger GP100 no current reloading books I have list Hodgen Lil'Gun powder for the 357 magnum . But they do for 44 magnum. Any reason why Hodgen Lil'Gun shouldn't be used in 357 magnum ?

I have a 6"Ruger GP100 no current reloading books I have list Hodgen Lil'Gun powder for the 357 magnum . But they do for 44 magnum. Any reason why Hodgen Lil'Gun shouldn't be used in 357 magnum ?

Yes. Lil' Gun burns very hot. It erodes top straps and forcing cones in short order. Freedom Arms voids your warranty if you use it.

Dan

The old load for 357 mag 158 gr XTP was 18 gr LIL GUN at some crazy low pressure.
I called or wrote to Hodgdon and asked why no load for 158 gr LSWC.
I was told it melted the lead.

I have been shooting 158 gr LSWC and XTP bullets with 26 gr LIL Gun. It is very loud and kicks hard in little old 38 special revolvers.

Then I chronographed it, and it is a hair slower than when I chronographed 18 gr.
So it is blowing a fire ball out the muzzle.

Still later, I realized I like the smell of H110 better.

Hey that's very interesting ! So does that mean I'm harming my 44 magnum with Lil'Gun ?

Give Bob Baker at FA a call. I spoke to him at length on the subject. Shortly after the powder was introduced, they had a significant increase in guns being returned for service. Lil' Gun was the common denominator. So they did some experimentation and also spoke to hogdon about it. Lil' Gun has a high amount of nitro glycerin in it and thus burns hotter. That was eroding the metal. Personally, I wouldn't use it in a revolver. I do use it in a TC .22 Hornet. Great powder for that.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts