350 Remington Magnum brass

alancthomas

Well in my down time from hunting Im making this brass and loaded ammo for a friend as there is no brass to be had on the market and if there was its almost $6 ea . Using 300 and 6.5 weatherby & 300 win mag brass to make the cartridge , its a process but just finished 20 ea now looking for a reduced loading using 158 grain bullet as the owner of the rifle is disabled If you have any data for this , Id say somewhere around 1800 to 2200 FPS will do Thanks Alan

Alan, My vintage Lyman book shows 350 mag with a 150 jacketed
IMR 3031 start at 52.0 up to 57.0

4064 55.0-61.0
4895 56.0-62.0
4320 55.0-61.0
all these are in the 2300-2800 range for velocity
I loaded 158 hp years ago in mine but dont have the data. I do remember they were very comfortable to shoot and were good enough for deer out to 200 yards or so.

Alan, My vintage Lyman book shows 350 mag with a 150 jacketed
IMR 3031 start at 52.0 up to 57.0

4064 55.0-61.0
4895 56.0-62.0
4320 55.0-61.0
all these are in the 2300-2800 range for velocity
I loaded 158 hp years ago in mine but dont have the data. I do remember they were very comfortable to shoot and were good enough for deer out to 200 yards or so.
Thank you but thats just a little to much recoil for him , he gave me the bullets and what he wants them loaded to (1800 to 2200 FPS )

Many, many years ago when I was but a young lad and the earth was still flat I did a lot of rabbit hunting with my Remington 600 chambered for the .350 Rem. Mag. The load I used was what its inventor, the famous gun writer C. E. "Ed" Harris, dubbed "The Load." I didn't have a chronograph in those days but the velocity it produced with 158 grain Speer .357 pistol bullets would definitely be less than 1800 fps, below your targeted range, but a helluva lot of fun to shoot with the very much reduced recoil and muzzle blast. Higher velocities can be obtained by using a soft cast bullet (say about 18 brinel hardness), instead of jacketed, and those bullets at about 1500 - 1600 fps are adequate for deer hunting at close range, say about ≤150 yards. I'm currently woking up some reduced loads for my .348 Win. and 45-70 Gov't lever guns using the Hi-Tek coated bullets from the Missouri Bullet Company and Montana Bullet Works which, at the reduced velocity produce very little, if any, leading of the barrel.

Anyway, Ed's "The Load" was 13 grains of Red Dot pistol/shotgun powder which is not at all sensitive to position, relative to the primer, and is bulky enough to avoid ever having a double charge by a simple visual check prior to seating the bullets. Ed says The Load is suitable for any cartridge of .308 Win case capacity or greater and with 30 caliber or greater bore when using bullet weights that are normal to the chambering. I have since carefully worked up similar loads using Red Dot, Unique and Blue Dot powders in cartridges of slightly smaller case sizes and calibers. You might carefully try those Alliant powders and see if you can safely work something up to your 1800+ range.

The latest updated revision of "The Load" by Ed Harris (1994) can be found at the following website where there is also another of his articles about the use of powders such as Reloader 7, 2400, 3031, 4198, 4227 & 4895 in reduced loads that could be a good starting point for getting your buddy's .350 up to the 2000 fps level. But if your friend's rifle is a Rem. 600 like the one I used to have you'll want to go with the fastest burning powders that work well, to avoid excessive report and muzzle flash from the short little barrel!

Last edited:
Many, many years ago when I was but a young lad and the earth was still flat I did a lot of rabbit hunting with my Remington 600 chambered for the .350 Rem. Mag. The load I used was what its inventor, the famous gun writer C. E. "Ed" Harris, dubbed "The Load." I didn't have a chronograph in those days but the velocity it produced with 158 grain Speer .357 pistol bullets would definitely be less than 1800 fps, below your targeted range, but a helluva lot of fun to shoot with the very much reduced recoil and muzzle blast. Higher velocities can be obtained by using a soft cast bullet (say about 18 brinel hardness), instead of jacketed, and those bullets at about 1500 - 1600 fps are adequate for deer hunting at close range, say about ≤150 yards. I'm currently woking up some reduced loads for my .348 Win. and 45-70 Gov't lever guns using the Hi-Tek coated bullets from the Missouri Bullet Company and Montana Bullet Works which, at the reduced velocity produce very little, if any, leading of the barrel.

Anyway, Ed's "The Load" was 13 grains of Red Dot pistol/shotgun powder which is not at all sensitive to position, relative to the primer, and is bulky enough to avoid ever having a double charge by a simple visual check prior to seating the bullets. Ed says The Load is suitable for any cartridge of .308 Win case capacity or greater and with 30 caliber or greater bore when using bullet weights that are normal to the chambering. I have since carefully worked up similar loads using Red Dot, Unique and Blue Dot powders in cartridges of slightly smaller case sizes and calibers. You might carefully try those Alliant powders and see if you can safely work something up to your 1800+ range.

The latest updated revision of "The Load" by Ed Harris (1994) can be found at the following website where there is also another of his articles about the use of powders such as Reloader 7, 2400, 3031, 4198, 4227 & 4895 in reduced loads that could be a good starting point for getting your buddy's .350 up to the 2000 fps level. But if your friend's rifle is a Rem. 600 like the one I used to have you'll want to go with the fastest burning powders that work well, to avoid excessive report and muzzle flash from the short little barrel!

13 grains of red dot over 158 grain .357 pistol bullet ? is that right Alan Thomas

13 grains of red dot over 158 grain .357 pistol bullet ? is that right

Alan-

I don't know about putting the powder "over" the bullet, but 13 gr of Red Dot and a 158 gr .357 pistol bullet was what I was using for rabbit hunting. They shot close to 2 MOA and I had a Leupold 2.3X IER scope that mounted directly on top of the gun's vent rib about half way down the barrel .... made taking quick shots at running rabbits doable. And the disbelief on the faces of other hunters I would run into when they saw I was rabbit hunting with a magnum centerfire was priceless!

Did you link to the Ed Harris articles?

Alan-

I don't know about putting the powder "over" the bullet, but 13 gr of Red Dot and a 158 gr .357 pistol bullet was what I was using for rabbit hunting. They shot close to 2 MOA and I had a Leupold 2.3X IER scope that mounted directly on top of the gun's vent rib about half way down the barrel .... made taking quick shots at running rabbits doable. And the disbelief on the faces of other hunters I would run into when they saw I was rabbit hunting with a magnum centerfire was priceless!

Did you link to the Ed Harris articles?
ok so let me be clear you where shooting a 350 remington magnum with 13.0 grains of Red Dot with a pistol bullet 158 grain .357 right , I have read some where about people using that bullet on the 350 RM ..... I bet they where amazed at the fact that you hunted rabbit with that bad boy Im making brass again and had to machine 60 thousands off the bottom of my form die to make the cases come out perfect and the same go's for my FLS die too