350 Legend

I don't, but JD Jones was all over this when announced:

"Here it comes. Finally got time to sit down and look over the drawings furnished by WW. Guess what? It is a 35-/_ bore diameter .346; groove diameter .355! OoooKaa. Forget standard 357 mag bullets and look for a new crop of 9 MMs. I assume there is good reason behind that but doggone if I can think of a good one. Depending on cartridge wall thickness and actual chamber dimensions I have no Doubt some 357-8 bullets will be sent downrange and I predict some interesting things will happen. Note when I was developing the 358 JDJ I had numerous handgun bullets fragment in mid air. Stay tuned. It's going to stay interesting for awhile. Leter rip! And share."

I have and shoot a 350L. Shot a couple hundred rounds through the barrel ( most reloads). I used my AR15 for this simple conversation.
Its a very balanced round. Has more umph than the 30-30, but not more than the 357 maximum.
The throat needs to be redesigned as well.
It kills fine, but would benefit from 200-300 fps increase. 180s run 2050-2100. 140 ftx is about 2500.

I have and shoot a 350L. Shot a couple hundred rounds through the barrel ( most reloads). I used my AR15 for this simple conversation.
Its a very balanced round. Has more umph than the 30-30, but not more than the 357 maximum.
The throat needs to be redesigned as well.
It kills fine, but would benefit from 200-300 fps increase. 180s run 2050-2100. 140 ftx is about 2500.

I wonder if a ".357 Maximum Legend" wildcat using a proper bore diameter for heavily-constructed bullets and .350 Legend brass trimmed to .357 Max length would make it? A rimless .357 Max using easily available brass and hard cast bullets in a 16" AR would have some appeal to me.

I wonder if a ".357 Maximum Legend" wildcat using a proper bore diameter for heavily-constructed bullets and .350 Legend brass trimmed to .357 Max length would make it? A rimless .357 Max using easily available brass and hard cast bullets in a 16" AR would have some appeal to me.

A couple points. The legend is a longer case and is rated for higher pressure than the max. It simply needs a better throat. Ptg already has a reamer for it. A rimless max would take the cartridge backwards. In bolt gun or break action, you could load the legend even longer.

A couple points. The legend is a longer case and is rated for higher pressure than the max. It simply needs a better throat. Ptg already has a reamer for it. A rimless max would take the cartridge backwards. In bolt gun or break action, you could load the legend even longer.

It seems to me like a rimless Max is a step up, rather than back from the Legend. A 150gr. .355" at 2290fps from a 20" barrel from a .350 Legend versus 2300-2400fps with 180gr .357s that I can get hardcast doesn't seem like going backwards to me. It doesn't seem like a longer case or higher max pressure is making a difference. The limitation of bullets constructed for 9mm velocities is kind of a big deal to me, too. Besides, if I want the "fastest straight walled cartridge" as the Legend advertises, I'll go .444 Marlin, which still beats it with heavier bullets in factory ammo. https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/winchester-350-legend-cartridge/359189

What are the advantages of the
350 Legend Rifle Cartridges over the 357 Magnum Rifle Cartridges ?

The Legend definitely has more power than the .357 Magnum. It's AR-compatible is probably the biggest advantage. The only disadvantage I see is the lightly-constructed 9mm bullets it's designed to shoot rather than heavier-duty .357s.

It's the .357 Maximum vs the .350 Legend that Wolf and I were talking about, though.

I saw the Drury guys are shooting the .350 Legend in Iowa shotgun season. I didn't think Iowa allowed centerfire rifles, but I guess they do?

Iowa now allows straight walled centerfire ammunition in .357 or larger caliber for deer hunting. Below is from the Iowa DNR Regs this year:

ALLOWABLE STRAIGHT-WALLED CARTRIDGE CRITERIA

■■ Center-fired straight-walled rimless cartridges with bullets from 0.357" to 0.500" diameter as published by manufacturer and a case length from 0.850" to 1.800."

■■ Center-fired straight-walled rimmed cartridges with bullets from 0.357" to 0.500" diameter as published by manufacturer with a case length from 1.285" to 1.800."

■■ The following cartridges do not meet the above criteria, but are allowed: .444 Marlin, .375 Winchester and .45-70 Govt.

I built an Aero Precision lower last winter and purchased an economy 16" Bear Creek Arsenal complete upper this fall to use for deer hunting this season. It does very well, especially being an "economy" upper.

The barrel really likes the 180gr Winchester Deer Season XP rounds.

This is 4 rounds at 100 yds of the 180gr.

350 legend.jpg

My buck this year. He trotted out of a draw at 70 yds, took 3 shots. First hit him in the liver, second took out top of his heart and third was a spine shot which dropped him. All were complete pass through (would have really liked to found one bullet to evaluate bullet expansion).

350 buck.jpg

It seems to me like a rimless Max is a step up, rather than back from the Legend. A 150gr. .355" at 2290fps from a 20" barrel from a .350 Legend versus 2300-2400fps with 180gr .357s that I can get hardcast doesn't seem like going backwards to me. It doesn't seem like a longer case or higher max pressure is making a difference. The limitation of bullets constructed for 9mm velocities is kind of a big deal to me, too. Besides, if I want the "fastest straight walled cartridge" as the Legend advertises, I'll go .444 Marlin, which still beats it with heavier bullets in factory ammo.

There might be some confusion. The legend will take a 357 bullet, but not 358. And I get can get much higher velocities than what you stated with handloaded ammo. Currently shooting 140s at 2500 for an accuracy load.
The biggest difference is the maximum coal. The AR platform is limited to 2.25"ish. If I loaded them longer in a bolt gun or break action, the legend wins. With the proper throat the legend wins.
All that said, I'm certain 100 fps either way won't effect the performance or make any discernable difference.

The cartridge needs a 140-150 partition bullet to make it shine.

BTW... A 45 Raptor is hands down the fastest straight wall cartridge. 2900 w/200 gr bullet.

There might be some confusion. The legend will take a 357 bullet, but not 358. And I get can get much higher velocities than what you stated with handloaded ammo. Currently shooting 140s at 2500 for an accuracy load.
The biggest difference is the maximum coal. The AR platform is limited to 2.25"ish. If I loaded them longer in a bolt gun or break action, the legend wins. With the proper throat the legend wins.
All that said, I'm certain 100 fps either way won't effect the performance or make any discernable difference.

The cartridge needs a 140-150 partition bullet to make it shine.

BTW... A 45 Raptor is hands down the fastest straight wall cartridge. 2900 w/200 gr bullet.

There are definitely faster wildcats, but the .350 Legend is hardly the fastest, straight-walled caliber, as their advertising claimed.

I'm saying .357, but should have clarified .358" hard cast bullets are what I'm considering for use in competing with the Legend since they are ideal for the hogs that I think the cartridge is most likely going to get used for.

I don't disagree that the .350 Legend is a different capability in the AR, I only question the use of narrower bullets, which are typically lighter construction because they're intended for slower pistol calibers. I don't need a .350 Legend, but would consider building a wildcat rimless .357 Maximum using the Legend case to shorten and create a case that uses a standard .223 bolt face. I'd even take less speed to be able to shoot a heavier-constructed, hard cast bullet rather than a really fast 9mm.

I just got my Winchester xpr 350, I absolutely love it. Regardless of performance verses other calibers , the fun factor is pegged on the fun meter for me.

Can't wait to see the best I can get out of this gun. The magazine doesn't allow much more room to seat the bullet out much. You really can't trim the magazine either, at least I wouldn't risk it.

I'm happy with leaving it the way it is, and excepting the performance that's left in the gun. If I want more performance I guess I would buy a gun that offers more.

I have a 357/38 pistol so I was leaning towards a 357 Magnum Rifle so that I can use my 357 ammo in both the Pistol and the Rifle, I won't be using it to hunt, just to enjoy shooting it at the range, which ever one I get I plan on reloading for it. With that in mind what would be the pros and cons about getting the 357 Magnum Rifle or the 350 Legend Rifle.

Last edited: