350 Legend Over Pressure

Thanks Muddyboots, I appreciate the insight on the 147 gr .355 being a pistol bullet. There are commercial target loads out there in 147 grain and even 124 grain I believe. These have got to be pistol bullets. Also, these have some pretty think copper jackets. I really believe that Hodgdon just needs to look at its Win 296 (and perhaps other powders H110, and Lil' Gun) for this cartridge.

"IF" your friend is so inclined there is a way to use .357 bullets. Lee bullet sizing dies for cast bullets come in a variety of sizes, and they are inexpensive. Get a .356" and a .355". I would guess it could be done in one step but because they are for cast bullets I think two would be best. I just size to .356" myself.

I'm having the same issue on ladder with Lil'Gun, W296, and H110. Flattened primers, swollen cases near the head and extractor marks at the minimum or .5gr above minimum. Shoots factory ammo ok. Looks like I need to back off below the minimum at least 1.5 and start over? Frustrating.

Using Starline brass, Hornady 165gr .355 XTP, Hornady 160gr .355 SP and Barnes 165gr .355 TTXP .

All were with cci SR primers.

A buddy that is an experienced handloader was seeing pressure signs with the .350 Legend. He did a lot of looking and found many references to it being a VERY picky cartridge to load for, and high pressure signs are being seen if you look funny at the cartridge as you load it. The slightest change will send it over the edge so to speak. He's given up trying to reload for it (due to the temp swings that we could see here) and is just shooting factory rounds now. He's given up trying to spend any range time with it, (he's got plenty of other rifles to shoot at the range) and it's now regulated to being his 12 yr. olds deer hunting rifle.