350 legend bullets

hammer111

Found a 125 gr .355 cal pistol bullet from fort Scott munitions. Anyone use there bullets.
I like the looks, and it will work in my rifle right?
Wish I could post the pic, but I can't from my tablet.

Not sure, I was just those are made for a pistol. And to go to marker bullets.
They have 350 legend specific bullets.

Jacketed would make fine plinkers but the plated bullets just won't do well. I have several thousand that I tried like heck to make work in my .357 mag at full velocity and they shot patterns. Run at 1000 fps and they did better. Tried the plated bullets for practice in my .38 Super (124gr) at 1250 fps and again no bueno.

I have never seen in person much less loaded any 350 legend but check the proper bullet diameter for them before you purchase any bullets. The 357 mag and 38 Special bores need .357 jacketed and at least .358 lead. .355 is the diameter is for 9mm Luger, 38 Super etc.

T
Why is that ?

They won't hold up. They tear thru the plating and lead up the barrel. Being .355" to begin with things go south. And yes a .355" bullet can be used for plinking with fair results as long as they aren't pushed too hard. Just as .357" bullets can be used in a supposedly .355" barrel if one takes into account an increase in pressure. The results are often better than expected accuracy wise.

I have shot hundreds of reloads thru the legend. My go-to right now is the 140 ftx w lil gun. Just got some hammers to try. My gun shoots 357 bullets just fine and I don't resize xtps or ftxs. Had the throat fixed by Bellm recently, but haven't shot it yet. The problem is the velocities. 9 mm bullets are to frangible and true 35 cal rifle bullets need more velocity. There 200 ftx has consistently shot the best but can only get 1950. Hoping with the new throat to get 2200. That would make a big difference in performance.

What did you have done to the throat.
How did the 357 fit in the case and load.

Mike Bellm redid the throat so that it could release the bullet and generate less pressure. Don't know the specifics.

357s have always chambered just fine. Now I can use 358s. The problem has been that resized 358 bullets just don't have enough velocity to cause much of a mushroom. I shot 180 Speer bullets-resized to 356- into a box of stacked paper @100 meters. All the bullets passed through 24" of solid paper without much damage. Never caught one for inspection. MV 2050-2100. For comparison, my 45 raptor shooting a 250 gr bonded shockwave @2600 fps went 21" and expanded to .73" with major damage at the same distance.

Sounds like a +P throat of his design. If this is the same guy I'm familiar with I've used his reamer and oversized pins in TC contender handguns with great success shooting IHMSA competition. I too have a .356" sizing die for running .357" 147gr cast bullets thru my CZ 75. I have several thousand of them left over from another venture.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.