350 legend bolt action build

I would say 16" is plenty. It's straight wall. Just look at what twist the savage is and use that.
I can say I've tested the crap outta this and for game and no other bullet works like the 125 hammer. I can sent load data and have had large deer taken at 238 more than once. Tried for 300 this year but was a bit to busy at work.
Can you please send me the 350 Legend load data you have for the 125 Hammer? My email address is [email protected]? Thanks.

Ok I'm probably not going to hear the end of this one for those who love the lower end ruger rifles. While yes it is cheaper route. I have no love for the ruger ranches, Americans, etc. in other calibers. I have had two of them and while they shot ok at best after stock work. I just can't get used to the sloppy bolts in them and the poor feeding issues I had. I'd rather spend a few bucks more and get something of a little more quality and reliability. I know it's a somewhat rather large target (deer) and only shooting a 100-150 yards but I'm kinda anal about accuracy, reliability and quality within reason. Especially when in experienced hunters will be using it.
Like the Ranch. Takes an after market trigger.

I'm going a similar route to yours. I bought my dad a Ruger American 350 and while it's shoots good it just feels like a $50 BB gun I had when I was 10. I've still made constant hits on a 8 inch steel at 400 yards.

My build...
Origin 223 BF
Carbon 6 18 inch 1-14 (Can is in jail)
Manners eh4

I'm hoping that I can find aics pattern mags that will feed properly and modify the followers. The easy button is definitely a Ruger or cva cascade. I'd definitely stick with 1-14/16 unless you're going to run subs. 18-20 inch barrel is where it's at. There's an excellent YouTube video of a guy cutting his 350 barrel down inch by inch to show what kind of velocity you can expect.

Funny, I just sold a CVA Cascade 350 Legend. Needed some cash. I had 13 factory boxes of Win. 150 and 180. Gr. 1 box of Hornady 170 gr. 2 boxes of Win. 145 FMJ ( shot best) 100 once fired brass. 2 new boxes 165 Hornady FTX. 1 new box Hornady 170 interlock. 1 new bag 100 brass. New RCBS dies and shell holder.
I liked the rifle a lot. Just didn't have need for the cartridge. The rifle had a 60% Bolt lift, very smooth. Threaded barrel. Cericoted, great trigger, dual swivel studs, nice camo stock and pad. I read Begara makes their barrels. Not sure on actions. I'd of liked it in a different caliber.

In watching roughly 20 deer attempted to be taken with 350 legend in Iowa…

Go with a better caliber.

The industry hasn't figured out a bullet design that is good for deer recovery. 450 bushmaster would be my choice if I hadn't built a rifle and ordered a suppressor specifically for Iowa. If you do decide to stick with 350, keep your shots less than you would with a slug gun and go with either a soft point or hollow point jacketed round. Especially avoid anything browning has to offer.
I can't let this one go, gotta call a bit of BS, after watching 5 different DRT's in my party this year with Winchester 180gr. Nothing went over 15 yards from where hit.

I've always felt like the Legend was a bit gimmicky, but I'm about done fighting against the results everybody else in my hunting party has had the past 2 seasons.

ETA: Shot ranges from 15 - 220 yards.

I'm looking at building a small action rifle Legal deer for Iowa, I was thinking legend since it relatively cheap to shoot and not much recoil for the wife and grand kids. I'm thinking of building one on a howa mini action since I can't find a factory howa in 350 legend.
Questions on a 350 legend build.

What is optimal barrel length
What is optimal twist
How many groove for the rifling
Rebore a 223 or buy a new barrel?

Personally, I would build an 18" with a 1/16" twist 5 groove. I would not "rebore" a 223, but buy a barrel mfg for the 350.

I can't let this one go, gotta call a bit of BS, after watching 5 different DRT's in my party this year with Winchester 180gr. Nothing went over 15 yards from where hit.

I've always felt like the Legend was a bit gimmicky, but I'm about done fighting against the results everybody else in my hunting party has had the past 2 seasons.

It is a bit gimmicky, though I get the premise of providing for the straight wall rules. Also the compact bolt gun idea is beat.

However, where it shines for me, is the fact that I can now feed something close to the power of a .44 magnum, out of the ar-15 platform. Minimally with just a barrel swap, though ideally barrel, buffer, and decent mags. Mine is a 10" barreled gun that's perfect for in the vehicle, and a suppressor can be mounted as well.
You get compactness, fairly high capacity and easy mag changes, a familiar highly modular platform, plus a cartridge that hits like a tank at short ranges.

It is my favorite heavy hitting caliber. Though I will say for medium game and down, with less recoil, I'm 110% sold on the .300 ham'r where you get a .30-30 out of an AR.

What part is BS? And were these 5 DRT "dead right there"or did they go no more than 15 yards? Which is it?