35 whelen vs 35 whelen ai

It seems the 338-06 is a good idea as there are so many 338 bullets out there.
true. the reason that a whelen is such a hammer is that they do NOT have any long range bullets. most all 35 cal bullets are designed for performing on animals. And when the speeds are up, they're very impressive.
If this is for short range, why would you want a long range bullet?
1583388208285.png
200 gr hornady interlock superformance load 2940 pfs. Photo courtesy of bullisticstudies.com
This guy was definitely way to close.
With the AI you don't have head space issues, and I think you can make a more accurate round.
Mine is a pre 64 mod 70 re bored back in the late 80's by my father 23" skinny barel. weighs 7 1/2 lbs scoped. I'm getting 2840 with a 225 game king. At a tad over 1 MOA it's a hammer out to 300 yds. Shoot it 2 or 3 time on the bench, and I'll forget my name, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
been pondering on making it a 35 sherman with a new barrel. 3000 with with a 225 SGK you could probably take it further

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, sounds good. If I get around to getting another barrel, I'll pm you. It's hard to get a reputable barrel Co to make a 35 cal barrel anymore.

I have a number of AI cartridges. Most cartridges gain only a small amount of velocity over the parent case.
The reason i prefer the 40° shoulder is it essentially stops case streching/growth. I started with a 243 that i had to trim about every 3-4 loadings. With the 40° shoulder this basically went away with all the calibers😁

I don't recall the die price, I got them from elkaholic. You can use 270 or 35 Whelen brass. The rws has been pretty good. I have a 1-12 twist Lilja on mine and it shoots really good. It was formally a 35 wai. I can't say how much faster it is than the regular Whelen but so far the Sherman is around 100 FPS faster than the ai.

I think the question he is asking is how much faster is the 35 Whelan AI then the 35 whelan

Yep, and the OP asked this nearly 4 years ago for an encore possible project.

I have a number of AI cartridges. Most cartridges gain only a small amount of velocity over the parent case.
The reason i prefer the 40° shoulder is it essentially stops case streching/growth. I started with a 243 that i had to trim about every 3-4 loadings. With the 40° shoulder this basically went away with all the calibers😁

Agreed! Most are fascinated with the velocity gain but forgets the other benefits as you noted.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.