. 35 Whelan A.I. data with 250 gr. and 2700, Vit. 140

Cody,
Relax, stimulation is a good thing! I am curious about your .35 Whelan experience. Actually mine was bought in S. Minnesota from a man who KNEW he couldn't sell it to anybody else. Mine came witha three die set (cast Bullets also), over a hundred cases, and four hundred Bullets.
I quickly learned this was an old PO Ackley rebored from 30-06, and that he had really slicked up that Springfield action and it held 5 cartridges in the magazine. It's been decades since it's been used, but since I ended up with it, it has taken bears in Ontario and Alaska, black tail deer and Roosevelt Elk. I originally bought it just to make it a 25-06, but after reloading for it and firing off a few magazines full, I knew it would be a 35 Whelan AI forever.

Gene

This rifle is built on a 1913 eddystone enfield, put together by a german gunsmith that worked in Utah named Fraunz Bryner, he was a gunsmith for Weatherby for nearly 30 years I believe, then retired and ran his own business. 25.5" douglas barrel, with a 1:10 twist that my dad traded a friend one of his hand made knives for (the tighter twist because the original intention for the barrel was heavy monos), and I fitted and did a hand rub oil finish to the Richards Microfit stock for my father and bedded it, and it is quite a shooter. He isn't really interested in trying any heavier bullets, 225's are plenty for close elk. Je will draw a moose tag either this year or next, and if someone in the family is ever lucky enough to draw a grizzly tag here in Wyoming, perhaps we may try the 250's. But after talking with him, right now he is using 57.2 grains of Varget and getting right at 2850 fps with the Sierra, and the brass has 4 firings on it I believe, counting the initial fireform.
20151222_193931.jpg
20151222_193451.jpg

This rifle is built on a 1913 eddystone enfield, put together by a german gunsmith that worked in Utah named Fraunz Bryner, he was a gunsmith for Weatherby for nearly 30 years I believe, then retired and ran his own business. 25.5" douglas barrel, with a 1:10 twist that my dad traded a friend one of his hand made knives for (the tighter twist because the original intention for the barrel was heavy monos), and I fitted and did a hand rub oil finish to the Richards Microfit stock for my father and bedded it, and it is quite a shooter. He isn't really interested in trying any heavier bullets, 225's are plenty for close elk. Je will draw a moose tag either this year or next, and if someone in the family is ever lucky enough to draw a grizzly tag here in Wyoming, perhaps we may try the 250's. But after talking with him, right now he is using 57.2 grains of Varget and getting right at 2850 fps with the Sierra, and the brass has 4 firings on it I believe, counting the initial fireform.
View attachment 105422 View attachment 105423

That's a real keepsake Cody!!

That's a real keepsake Cody!!

Boy, do I recognize the profile of that stock, especially the combs' shape. Apparently Microfit bought the old Herters equipment left over after they went bankrupt. I was raised in Mankato just 23 miles away from Herters in Waseca, Minnesota. George Leonard Herter was the biggest bs er ever acquainted with sporting goods. Some of his products were outstanding!
Your rifle looks as if a lot of time was spent in creating a weapon that will be in your family a long time. Congratulations!
Gene

I have a rebored 30-06 to 35 Whelen/AI that thinks it's a sniper rifle.
It started out in life as a M70 CRPF in the poly factory stock.
I had a M700 classic that I didn't want to alter so the old M70 was sacrificed. J.E.S. did the work and put a longer then normal throat in it at my request so I could use the full length of the mag box.
My pet loads consist of using CEF223 which is slower then 4064, BLC2 and all the favorites for the Whelen but boy does it make the 35/AI sing. You can easily reach 2850fps with 225gr Partition in 24" barrel if your willing to load to 64000psi with no problems. I try to keep mine to 62000psi. I use new 35 Whelen brass to fire form so I don't over work my brass.
I also have loads for the 200gr AB at over 3000fps which shoots unbelievably small 1/2" groups at 100yds.
The Ackely design hides pressure and will surprise you when it shows it's ugly head, like primers falling out of cases when you eject the fired case, brass flowing into the bolt face and such. Never have I felt a heavy bolt lift or locked up the bolt. The lack of bolt thrust keeps that from happening along with the straight line case walls design of the cartridge.
CFE gives you a 95% case fill and works great give it a try and you will be pleased.

That rollover cheek piece is still one of the most comfortable style stocks I have ever found. It fits my face, length of neck and cheek bones for my comfort and helps with reduced recoil for me. It may look old fashion to some of the members and to a certain extent it is but that will never detract from the comfort I find when using that style.:)

Now, white line spacers is another story...:eek:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.