35 Remington Contender

That would be great Muddyboots. I was interested in trying those but there aren't any available locally. I was able to buy some of the 200gn spire points with a BC of .282 vs the FTX with .300.
I plan on hunting this year with the factory FTX leverevolutions but I guess I'm to cheap/prideful to help myself from finding a custom load to hunt with in the future. I'm currently testing with the round nose versions because the partial box was supplied with the barrel along with a Lyman die set and stock set. The barrel was ugly at the muzzle from a previous owner turning a step and brazing/welding a bloop tube to make it 16" legal rifle and then removing it before selling. I wanted a factory 16" barrel in something like 444 but couldn't find the right deal so I settled on this when it came along. I promptly welded an extension to bring it back slightly over 16 and am shooting it with a buttstock and rifle scope. I left that out at first in hopes to minimize the thread being sidetracked over concerns with the 14"/stock. I assure you everything I'm doing is completely legal to the best of my research.

Lefty, thanks for that very helpful info. 748 is also readily available to me as well as the similar range CFE223. I may try one or both of those if the H4198 doesn't prove successful. I couldn't decide between H322, H4895, H4198 but that list is in order price high to low I decided to start at the bottom. I noticed 3031 a better price yet but it's non Extreme and I was uncertain of its temp stability. Thanks for the continued support in this endeavor. Much appreciated.

Thanks again Muddyboots. I'll load some up as soon as I can. In the mean time I've done more testing with the 200gn RN. Still using 9-1/2 primers as well cause that's what I have lots of extras of. Interesting but not exciting finds so far. Nothing seems very stable so far although the necks are slightly less dirty as charge goes up. H4198 is listed with a 30.5gn max. Even at that the necks still aren't clean but things look more normal and it seems the most consistent load so far at around 1915fps average. I also tried 30.6 and 30.7 but both were slower and more spread. Any ideas on y the drop in speed?

I was also able to get some chronograph readings on the Leverevolutions. Average nearly 2000fps. 225 slower than advertised so that's exciting considering my barrel is 10" too short lol. But again I ask one of my original questions. Is it reasonable to try to hand load to competitive speeds or would I likely destroy something trying?

If you can find the Hodgdon Leverevolution powder you can probably match the Hornady factory loads. I believe that's the actual powder used in the factory ammo.

Very difficult to match any factory offering due to their ability to blend powders plus having proprietary versions. Best recommendation I can say is realize it is a .35 Rem in a pistol configuration so the barrel length will always be a negative factor. A 200 gr bullet at 1900 fps is no slouch and will knock down any whitetail. If it is shooting accurately, I wouldn't touch a thing. Getting single digit ES and SD is nice but pretty much meaningless in the .35 Rem for the distances you are shooting but can be nice indicator of your reloading practices. I think the .35 Rem is better suited for lighter bullets 150-180 gr range. Hopefully the 180's will work out for you.

For both Leverevolution and Superformance powders, I've had excellent results using the recommended loads as shown on the powder label. I load the 35rem for my Marlin 336cs using 41.4gn(compressed)) of Leverevolution under the 200gn FTX and rem 9 1/2 primer. Their data is showing 2116fps. My loads closely replicate the performance of the off the shelf Hornady Leverevolution ammo which shows a muzzle velocity of 2225fps.
I love the 35rem. I bet shooting it out of the contender is a hoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.