.35 Calibre for Elk?

kc

I would like to know if you would use a .35 Remington(from a 336SC Marlin) for Elk?
this rifle is deadly at 100yards...I also have a .35 Whelen at my Brothers House I can get any time day or night.

Should do just fine. My cousins mother-in law(we call her Mrs. elk-whacker) only uses one rifle for all her hunting....35 Rem. with -I think-200gr round nose bullets. In the past 4 years she's only drawn an elk tag twice and was successfull both times. They were cows. She loves her ''gun''

I would prefer the Whelen but wouldn't be afraid of using the 35 Rem. Your range is going to be limited but you should have plenty of power. My Dad has been hunting with a 35 Whelen improved for more than 20 years. He's killed a pile of elk with it in mostly short range conditions.

I would like to know if you would use a .35 Remington(from a 336SC Marlin) for Elk?
this rifle is deadly at 100yards...I also have a .35 Whelen at my Brothers House I can get any time day or night.

Look at the ballistic tables and where the rifles reach around 1500 ft/lbs should answer your
question.

They are both very capabable if held to reasonable ranges.

But between the two I would choose the 35 Whelen. With a 250 grain bullet it should work
out to 500 yards if it is accurate enough.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts