• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

.340 Weatherby

Doublezranch

Looking for a 340 Weatherby action. I will buy the whole rifle if need be. Looking for something lightly used.

Thanks

Jayson

I have a Lazermark that just sits in the safe. Has been shot but not much. Sounds like you may not be interested in the stock, but it is a beautiful rifle. I have an Accumark in the same caliber, so don't need this one. Thanks,

Steve

Are you going to rebarrel it for your custom, or just rechamber it?

I have one with a Mag-Na-Ported barrel that is for sale, and would split it up if you don't want the very pretty deluxe stock.

If you're going to rebarrel it, a 300 Wby action would also work and is more common. Well, the action is the same but the chambering is more common, thus expanding your options in searching.

I was hoping you would comment. I know you have a few Weatherby's in your safe. I do know that the 300 action will work but I figured I would start with the 340. My reason was hoping that there would be a plethora of them out there that have been shot once or twice and put away due to the punishment they can provide. My plan is to rebarrel and rechamber. I'm building my daughter a 340 Weatherby Improved that will bear her name.

Yes, I saw that.

I think they have made a lot more 300s as its the most common Weatherby cartridge, so if you only want the action I'd recommend opening up your search parameters.

You could also use a Remington magnum action. I have seen several custom 340s made on these and shoot rather well. I have plans in future to do this with one. I have an Mark V Accumark and Deluxe now in this caliber. I guess I need a third. ha ha

I was hoping you would comment. I know you have a few Weatherby's in your safe. I do know that the 300 action will work but I figured I would start with the 340. My reason was hoping that there would be a plethora of them out there that have been shot once or twice and put away due to the punishment they can provide. My plan is to rebarrel and rechamber. I'm building my daughter a 340 Weatherby Improved that will bear her name.

How can you "improve" a weatherby double radius shoulder? You can use any Weatherby magnum action..you may just have to change the mag box out...but a 257,270,7mm, 300, 375 or 340 way will all work...the 300, 375, and 340 are just a rebarrel away..with that in mind any M70 long action or Remington 700 long magnum with a 375 length box will work too.

Ed

Thanks for your opinion Ed. The 257, 270, 7mm all need lots of machine work. Bolt slots, bolt face, bolt stop slots and magazine needs to be machined because the bolt slide isn't as long on the smaller calibers. I cannot use the 378 because I believe the bolt face is too large. 300 and 340 are the "Weatherby" actions that I'm looking for. This will be my second Weatherby project. I have no doubt it will be just as successful. IMHO the best way to improve the radiused shoulder is to replace it with a 40 degree shoulder. The 40 degree shoulder holds the powder in the powder column longer thus burning the powder more efficiently and effectively. This was proven with the 378 Zayne.
Reducing body taper, shortening the neck and going with a 40 degree shoulder are the "improvements" that took a 125 grain 378 Weatherby to a 143 grain 378 Weatherby. The Zayne fell just short of Cheytec performance with 25+/- grains less powder.
Don't get me wrong, I love Remington too. I have a full library of RUM's and even a 338/375 Rum Improved respectfully known as the Texan. Plain and simple I'm a fan of Remington and Weatherby. Both have thier strong and weak points.

Jayson

The man knows what he wants! Great plan. 338 Baer was/is a 340 improved. Great action to build on.

Doublezranch - my father has a .340 and I sent you a conversation with info. He's ready to sell.
Richard

I have a custom barreled Mark V in 340 weatherby with a gorgeous stock that I never use...

I'm sorry...I purchased what I need already. I'm not sure how to switch the title.

Thanks for the offer.