340 Weatherby with 300’s ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

You may want to look at the 260 hammer bullets...or lighter. My 338 edge -similar in case volume and performance- loves N570 and that hammer bullet. Its good for 3K out of a 26" barrel. The 300 Berger shoots well too. My advice is look at the charts and ask yourself how far you're really going to shoot. I think you'll find most hunting distances benefit from a lighter bullet trucking at high speeds.

You may want to look at the 260 hammer bullets...or lighter. My 338 edge -similar in case volume and performance- loves N570 and that hammer bullet. Its good for 3K out of a 26" barrel. The 300 Berger shoots well too. My advice is look at the charts and ask yourself how far you're really going to shoot. I think you'll find most hunting distances benefit from a lighter bullet trucking at high speeds.
Yeah I'm a big Berger fan for the DRT expansion factor and no meat loss as I don't need to make direct shoulder shots… I agree with the benefits at different weights, but you can't argue with raw energy transfer of the bigger bullets. Love that sound when a bullet connects like a Mack truck and folds them. The 300 OTM's are hard to beat at any distance with energy/wind IF they are capable of running at a speed that puts them out in front of the 250's.
If I can get them into the 2800 range, they are a clear winner.
I push the 195's in my STW and the 115's in my 6x47. I always take the biggest possible when the energy benefit is clear.

Last edited:
Couple comments on 340 WBY. First, my hunting buddy bought a gorgeous one, and it would not shoot good groups. I tried 250 to 300gr bullets to no avail. Also factory loads. We sent it in. They shot a decent 1" with 200gr bullets and told us to stick with light bullets. Sent gun back. Now it just sits there. 200gr bullet it a 338 cal gun..... Sure Idiots....

Weatherby SUCKS in my opinion. The long throat is a gimmic to get a little more velocity. Roy didn't have range finders. So he made up for it with max velocity.

Just got the newest Nosler loading manual. It suggests that the 340 WBY needs a crimp or very tight neck tension to shoot accurately. I am going to try crimping for the first time in decades. We will see....

But I still am of the opinion that Roy's 340 sucks...... And the company as well. A $3k gun should shoot MOST everything under 1" period . To be told to shoot light for caliber bullets by the manufacturer is crap.....

Couple comments on 340 WBY. First, my hunting buddy bought a gorgeous one, and it would not shoot good groups. I tried 250 to 300gr bullets to no avail. Also factory loads. We sent it in. They shot a decent 1" with 200gr bullets and told us to stick with light bullets. Sent gun back. Now it just sits there. 200gr bullet it a 338 cal gun..... Sure Idiots....

Weatherby SUCKS in my opinion. The long throat is a gimmic to get a little more velocity. Roy didn't have range finders. So he made up for it with max velocity.

Just got the newest Nosler loading manual. It suggests that the 340 WBY needs a crimp or very tight neck tension to shoot accurately. I am going to try crimping for the first time in decades. We will see....

But I still am of the opinion that Roy's 340 sucks...... And the company as well. A $3k gun should shoot MOST everything under 1" period . To be told to shoot light for caliber bullets by the manufacturer is crap.....
Man, you had a completely different experience with Weatherby customer service than anyone I've ever talked to/read about. About the only big gun company to not change hands and have people actually answer the phone when you call.

They don't even offer anything in 200 grain/light ammunition in 340 and I can't see where they have for 20 plus years so I'm not sure about you and your buddies statement?
And no one had rangefinders back then, it wasn't just the owner of Weatherby opting to not buy one. 😂😂😂
If your up for selling these guns and calibers that "completely suck", shoot me the details and I'll see if I take these sucky guns off your hands. 😉

I played with 300 gr in my 340.
The relatively short GK s are ok,but today's high BC bullets take up to much case volume to run through the mag.
Ofcourse single loading takes care of the problem.
As for me ill keep the 300 grainers for my 338 RUM.
As a side note sadly my 338 LP is a Sako TRG has a 12" twist and does not like them and I have a lot of them😳😁

I do not have a 340bee, but run a 338RUM with 250gr accubonds at right at 3k. RL33 and H1000 are the powders i've tested, have to check my notes. I have some 235gr hammer hunters to try, have a few loaded just don't have time to hit the range right now. the big 33's are a great group of cartridges imo to knock shite down.

Yeah I'm a big Berger fan for the DRT expansion factor and no meat loss as I don't need to make direct shoulder shots… I agree with the benefits at different weights, but you can't argue with raw energy transfer of the bigger bullets. Love that sound when a bullet connects like a Mack truck and folds them. The 300 OTM's are hard to beat at any distance with energy/wind IF they are capable of running at a speed that puts them out in front of the 250's.
If I can get them into the 2800 range, they are a clear winner.
I push the 195's in my STW and the 115's in my 6x47. I always take the biggest possible when the energy benefit is clear.

The 300s shoot very well and hit hard at both ends. My gun will shoot them over 2800 with H1000. The issue is that out to roughly 600 yards the 250 Berger or 260 hammer are better ( trajectory, energy, TOF). Obviously, there's no wrong choice. LRT and rl33 get the heavies moving pretty fast.

I think it would be a hot load to get 2800.I get 2750 out of my 338nm w/300.I shot a 340 for 35 years with 225. The Norma case has bit more capacity. Im even playing with 250 gr super doziers