340 Weatherby with 300’s ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

mk443

I know this is more of an old school caliber, but I've always been into the original kings of overbore!
Just got a 340 and I'm curious if anyone is running 300 grain bullets in theirs and what your actual velocity is? I searched the web and ran the data and it's showing a velocity average of 2650 fps with the 300's which seems on the low side.. knowing how my actual numbers typically surpass the suggested speeds generously, I'm curious if anyone is running or has run the big rounds in theirs???
Before I start buying $100 boxes of 300's, i want to see if I can get enough horsepower to make it worth it over the 250's.

26 inch barrel, 1-10 twist, factory monster freebore Weatherby chamber.

My 340 is my fav rifle! I hunt with 225 TTSX bullets, but it is an incredibly accurate rifle with 300 SMK's. My velocity is right at 2620, accuracy is .3 MOA consistently. I know the velocity is not what we are used to with lots of our modern cartridges, but starting off at 2620, still doing 1650 at 1000, with 1800+ ft-lbs of energy. That load will stop anything.

My 340 is my fav rifle! I hunt with 225 TTSX bullets, but it is an incredibly accurate rifle with 300 SMK's. My velocity is right at 2620, accuracy is .3 MOA consistently. I know the velocity is not what we are used to with lots of our modern cartridges, but starting off at 2620, still doing 1650 at 1000, with 1800+ ft-lbs of energy. That load will stop anything.
Yeah the energy is impressive, but at the 2600ish speed range, the 250 grainer can really shine in comparison

The 300gr. Is quite heavy and will have killer recoil. A good friend hunts elk with a 220gr bullet. They usually drop in their tracks. Should get great velocity and distance out of your 340Wby, he shoots a .338 Win Mag. Good luck

Are the big game your hunting wearing Kevlar vests covered with body armor ?? That's a lot of power to be sending..lol. I know it can't be paper punching..a real big big banger...a tad bit expensive to plink with these days....

340 WTBY my favorite elk round. I run 250 nosler partitions. Ive never had a reason to change worked up a good load and its super accurate and its been (knocking on wood here) 13 for 13 one shot kills on elk. Nothing long range the furthest was 473 yards bang flop most kills in the 100-250 yard range. I tried to work a load with 300 SMK's to be honest it was kicking the crap outta me so I didnt even bother to finish and just pulled the remaining bullets. I just picked up another 340 built on a arnold arms action with lilja barrel just put together some loads to start with this past weekend we will see how she does this weekend...

Hard to beat a 340 with 250 grain bullets. Mine loves those. I have some 300 grain but have yet to try those. My plain was to use 300gr for close shots on big brown teddy 🐻....Tagging in to see what others say.

I'm starting to work with a 340 and was wondering what you have found to work well with the 250 grain bullets.
I am using both nosler 250 accubonds and partitions with IMR 7828. Many years ago the 200gr ballistic tip was unreal on deer. The 250 gr bullets are what the 340 really seems to like best in all the guns I have had or loaded for.

What speeds are you guys getting with the 250's?
sounds like the 300's aren't getting a lot of use.

My favorite load and most accurate is 250 gr Nosler Partition 2840 fps with IMR 7828. I have another a little slower like VV-N165 at about 2770. I just put together some loads for my new rifle I am interested to see what H-1000 does in it all the new loads are loaded with that powder we'll find out this weekend...

I also loaded up some 257 WTBY with Barnes 100 gr bullets and H-1000 to shoot as well. Time will tell

My favorite load and most accurate is 250 gr Nosler Partition 2840 fps with IMR 7828. I have another a little slower like VV-N165 at about 2770. I just put together some loads for my new rifle I am interested to see what H-1000 does in it all the new loads are loaded with that powder we'll find out this weekend...

I also loaded up some 257 WTBY with Barnes 100 gr bullets and H-1000 to shoot as well. Time will tell
I should mention I am trying H-1000 because I have a lot and I am running low on 7828 and refuse to pay current prices for more...