340 Weatherby Mag Shooters

Just traded my stock MKV. It was an absolute Hammer! First round hits at a distance were no problem. The #2 barrel left something to be desired as did the Tupperware stock. 87.5 grains of 7828ssc lit with a CCI250 behind a 250 SMK at 3000fps. It took elk quickly and effectively. Longest shot on an elk was "only" 425. Took a deer at 725. I had absolute confidence in that rifle when I pulled the trigger. It's been gone a couple weeks now, and even though I did good on paper in the trade, I'm having regrets....

Two helpful pics. Longtime long ranger was very helpful, although not on here much anymore

Attachments

• IMG_2487.PNG
    IMG_2487.PNG
    397.3 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_2488.PNG
    IMG_2488.PNG
    35.9 KB · Views: 266
morning, I purchased a 340 Accu-Mark with brake
5yrs. ago. this weapon is a jack hammer caliber.
I shoot the barnes 210gr. TTSX.3 shots .500 groups.
this is the only bullet I shoot. I shoot hogs, deer, coyotes, and
anything I want. this caliber and bullet is my
choice for any game hunting in the world.
exclude the elephant, and cape buffalo??
I am 72 yrs. old. I love this round and weapon.
justme gbot tum

I have a Weatherby FiberMark in .340 I have had it since 1988, originally topped with a Zeiss Diavari-C 3-9. I bought it used from a Doctor in New Orleans who had taken it to Africa three different times, and showed me his photo album of over 100 animals he took with it. He also gave me about 400 rounds of once fired Weatherby brass. It shot 210 Nosler factory loads the best, about 3/4 moa. After many, many factory rounds and reloads, it was time to replace the barrel in 2015. Rich Reilly at Hi Tech Customs in Colo Springs did a rebarrel with a Lilja, and bedded the action in a black HS Precision stock. It has a brake (Rich Reilly installed), and shoots 1/2 moa with Barnes 225 TTSX (reloads 87.0 R-19 with Fed 215M Primer, Norma Brass). It now wears a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 X 44 with BRH reticle in Talley mounts. I have hunted with it every year since I bought it. Since I have had it, the rifle has taken 27 Bulls (in NM and Colo). I have no idea how to post a picture of it.

Last edited:
When I first fired a .340 I was not used to its level of recoil. I figured I would load up some and fire them into the ground outside to get to a near mx load. There was no scope on it yet. Upon firing it I realized one must have a good grip on it before touching one off. You may not believe it, but the bolt knob went INTO the web between the index finger and the thumb. I sent it off to KEEPER. It became a pussycat firing Nosler 210 grainers in three shot 3/4" groups at 3,212 feet per second.

I've had excellent luck with Weatherby rifles and 225gr Barnes TTSX and 90gr of RL19(hot). With a high tech custom as mentioned above I believe I was right at 87gr of RL19 same bullet. Serious elk medicine

I got a full custom 340 built by Lane Precision a couple years ago. Its pretty much the only rifle I use for hunting these days. Shoots the Barnes 225 TTSX at 2,975 into tiny groups. For far off rocks, I use the 300 SMK at 2,650, shoots that load into even tinier (sp?) groups.

I will never be without a 340.

I'm a real 340 fan. My favorite load were the factory 210 Partitions. Absolute hammer on elk and yet wpould still expand on a lung shop deer/antelope at 500 yds. The clocked just under 3250 and would routinely shoot cloverleafs. Sadly the factory ammo has been discontinued and I've never been able to duplicate velocity and accuracy at the same time with handloads. I've loaded up some 225 Accubonds with RL26 but haven't shot them yet....hoping to find something to replace the 210 factory loads.

Back in '98 I used a Match Grade Arms in .340W for a SA Plains Game hunt. I shot the 210XBT over H4350 for right at 3200. I killed zebra, Impala, Blesbuk and then went over to Namibia for the big Gemsbok. I also took springbok while there. I liked the round, but the rifle was too light, so had it rebarreled later with a bit heavier barrel and in 338WM. I then used the 185XLC. I saw no need for the heavies in either caliber when using the monobullets. I "did" use the 180NAB in a 338 RUM later and it too was a gem. Good round anyhow, the 340W!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.