340 Wby Long Range Bullet

Rev.

I have a 340Wby Mkv Acumark & would like to start hunting & shooting past 500yds. Now I'm only hunting WT Deer with 180 & 200 gr NBT. I have some land that I can shoot 500-800yds & thought my 340 would be a good one to start with.

Would a 300gr SMK or Burger be a good .338 bullet to start with I also like the 225gr NAB.

Thanks for the help

Rev.,

Go to this link and fill in the blanks for each of the bullets you are considering. Then make the bullet choice. JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

For comparison use the line of sight over line of bore value just needs to be the same for all calculations.

For accurate drops that value will need to be spot on perfect.

The bullet settled on will usually be the one that the rifle likes best.

I would suppose the 225 NAB will be the overall winner as white tails are the largest game you'll be shooting.

Rev.,

Go to this link and fill in the blanks for each of the bullets you are considering. Then make the bullet choice. JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

For comparison use the line of sight over line of bore value just needs to be the same for all calculations.

For accurate drops that value will need to be spot on perfect.

The bullet settled on will usually be the one that the rifle likes best.

I would suppose the 225 NAB will be the overall winner as white tails are the largest game you'll be shooting.

Thanks Roy,

This will help narrow it downgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.