33xc or 37xc

I am looking to build a 37xc. Any input from anyone who has one? Barrel length? Twist,action, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Hoping to build for extreme range shooting and hunting

We have two 37xc s first one 30 inch 8 twist benchmark barrel 5 contour defiance deviant action opened up to .595 bolt face on a mcmillian stock with trigger tec 2nd one 30 inch 10 twist mcgowan barrel sendero twist fluted with stiller action grayboe stock with a trigger tec we shoot ceb 350 lazers n570 @ 3140 with various optics the benchmark with 8 twist can shoot 425 lazers @ 2950 + both guns good out past 2 miles on targets 1500 yrds hunting

Have you talked to any gunsmiths about it. Just wondered what others may say
Well Sharpshooter over on the Savage site is a gunsmith and pretty much the Savage guru over there. Needless to say he is pro Savage. Except when it come to using Savage actions on the larger cases, even on cases like the 300 ultra mag.
Reason being lug setback. There has recently been a long thread on this subject on that site, so it shouldn't be hard to find. I think no minds were changed by it, with the ones claiming posative results seemingly undaunted by any of it.
I'd personally be getting advise from some very good qualified sources before I'd be putting my face on the stock of a big boomer on a Savage action, and im a fan of Savage also.

Well Sharpshooter over on the Savage site is a gunsmith and pretty much the Savage guru over there. Needless to say he is pro Savage. Except when it come to using Savage actions on the larger cases, even on cases like the 300 ultra mag.
Reason being lug setback. There has recently been a long thread on this subject on that site, so it shouldn't be hard to find. I think no minds were changed by it, with the ones claiming posative results seemingly undaunted by any of it.
I'd personally be getting advise from some very good qualified sources before I'd be putting my face on the stock of a big boomer on a Savage action, and im a fan of Savage also.

Are you speaking in reference to the new actions used with the .338 Lapua Magnum?

Are you speaking in reference to the new actions used with the .338 Lapua Magnum?
Yes, he claims every one that has come into his shop has setback issues. Cant imagine why a man involved with Savage for so many years would make a thing like that up.
Apparently it's not a bolt issue, but the area supporting the bolt lugs he feels is the cause. But of coarse there were a few people claiming they have not experienced any issues, and arguing as to why Savage would continue to sell them.

I think I would want to use a large shank target action. Solid bottom action so the lug setback should be less of an issue. Might have to lengthen the port a bit to let out the longer xc case.

I think I would want to use a large shank target action. Solid bottom action so the lug setback should be less of an issue. Might have to lengthen the port a bit to let out the longer xc case.

The best option is to use the 112 Magnum action, like Jasent did. The standard Target action isn't designed for the Lapua like the 112 Magnum is. As long as you respect the design limitations of the action I don't see an issue with using an appropriate Savage action. The key is to keeping the pressures at appropriate levels and not just loading until you see "pressure signs". By the time you're blowing a primer on a Lapua sized case head, you've already gone too far and likely done damage to the action.

The best option is to use the 112 Magnum action, like Jasent did. The standard Target action isn't designed for the Lapua like the 112 Magnum is. As long as you respect the design limitations of the action I don't see an issue with using an appropriate Savage action. The key is to keeping the pressures at appropriate levels and not just loading until you see "pressure signs". By the time you're blowing a primer on a Lapua sized case head, you've already gone too far and likely done damage to the action.
You raise a valid point Yorke, but then what loading manual would be best for developing loads for some of these cartridges?
I can tell you how i was advised to find my load.
Do a ladder test over the crony in 1 grain increments till i got to a certain velocity, OR until the first sign of a sticky bolt.
How many times do we ever have any idea of what the pressure is?
Besides ammo safe to shoot today, might not be safe a year or 2 from now if the bullet welds to the case a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.