33XC Build

Yes but when you get past a mile is when the 6.5 creedmore starts to shine.
My buddy has a sniper rifle that's a 6.5 creedmore. rifle and scope was about $700 and he can shoot easily to 1 mile.
Shooting a mile is the easy part, hitting the target the crosshairs are on is another. The pathetic little 140 grain 6.5 bullet at a mile is a toy being pushed around by the slightest wind out there. Get it moving near 10 mph and switching around, that little 6.5 bullet is helpless. Doubling the bullet weight and adding .2 BC to the formula at identical speeds and that's the bullet that can and does defy within reason more wind than most others will not.

Shooting a mile is the easy part, hitting the target the crosshairs are on is another. The pathetic little 140 grain 6.5 bullet at a mile is a toy being pushed around by the slightest wind out there. Get it moving near 10 mph and switching around, that little 6.5 bullet is helpless. Doubling the bullet weight and adding .2 BC to the formula at identical speeds and that's the bullet that can and does defy within reason more wind than most others will not.
Sorry I forgot the sarcasm font again. Lol
That was the first thing I could think of that the average creedmore shooter or let's say owner not shooter would say.

Sorry I forgot the sarcasm font again. Lol
That was the first thing I could think of that the average creedmore shooter or let's say owner not shooter would say.
I get the appeal of a small caliber high bc bullets for ELR shooting. I've shot many 6.5-7mm bullets a long ways out and when no wind or elements are effecting the bullets trip, they can be outstandingly accurate hitting the target repeatedly. My only point is from the realistic perspective which is most times this scenario isn't the rule, it's always the exception. When you can cash in on those conditions using the rifle you prefer for shooting, do it.

Gotta be harder on barrels for sure. The 37XC would be better than even the 338 Lapua improved I would think. If I were to do another, it'd have to be one for beyond 2500 and the .375 caliber is king IMO for going beyond 1.5 miles. I shot my 338 LM imp at 1800 this past November and there's no need for anything more for out to 2000+ IMO based on my experience. Had some decent winds and had to adjust for it but it was repeatable and fairly easy to call. No switch winds or crazy stuff like out West but it was gassing a little.
Yeah
I watched my kid use a 338 edge and make a 1863 yd shot. Which is a nice cartridge due to how it shoots and options in brass. I want to build something different so that we don't have the same and if I hand it down it would be another caliber for him to compile. My only concerns with the 37xc is case selection and bullet selection. I guess with the 33xc my concerns are how hard it is on barrels and case selection.

Thinking about possibly other options.
I get that. What are you consisdering now?
I went through a lot of scenarios & questions myself. I shot a 6.5 Grendel & 6.5 Creedmoor for a good while.Then I got more serious and went to 6.5 PRC for a year,Then to a 300 PRC ,on to a 30 Sherman Magnum for Light Classand.Then I built a 33XC for Light Class.Its top dog in the Light Class .I also built a 375 Cheytac for Heavy Class to shoot in the King of 2 Mile Competition.So Ive been through a bunch of decisions on which calibersI wanted to shoot.
I did pretty well with the 300 PRC & 250 gr A-Tips out to 3000 yards.

Last edited:
I get that. What are you consisdering now?
I went through a lot of scenarios & questions myself. I shot a 6.5 Grendel & 6.5 Creedmoor for a good while.Then I got more serious and went to 6.5 PRC for a year,Then to a 300 PRC ,on to a 30 Sherman Magnum for Light Classand.Then I built a 33XC for Light Class.Its top dog in the Light Class .I also built a 375 Cheytac for Heavy Class to shoot in the King of 2 Mile Competition.So Ive been through a bunch of decisions on which calibersI wanted to shoot.
I did pretty well with the 300 PRC & 250 gr A-Tips out to 3000 yards.
I am going to build something for backpacking in. 33xc would be to heavy. Thinking on the lines of a 300 Norma, 338 Norma improve, or another edge. The nice thing about the Norma is I can run a magazine. The edge that we presently have we run CEB Lazers and they measured 4.238". I still have a sweet spot for the edge. I have a 28 nosler and Running 195 Berger's presently at 3100 after slowing it down and I don't think that the 300 Norma has much of an advantage over it except for maybe barrel life. So I was considering going straight to a 338 caliber.

I put together a 24" carbon barrel 338 ultra mag on a Remington action and a McMillan game hunter Edge fill stock .
My scope is heavy but it is nice to handle and pack .
Re-26 , 250 gr berger @ 2997 ft.per.sec.
So far it's a joy to shoot! It pushes the 300 gr bergers about 2800 ft.per.sec for Bear hunting!

Rum Man

I put together a 24" carbon barrel 338 ultra mag on a Remington action and a McMillan game hunter Edge fill stock .
My scope is heavy but it is nice to handle and pack .
Re-26 , 250 gr berger @ 2997 ft.per.sec.
So far it's a joy to shoot! It pushes the 300 gr bergers about 2800 ft.per.sec for Bear hunting!

Rum Man
Ok
We were pushing the 275 grain CEB out of the edge at 3009. And it weighs 12 pounds and 4 ounces. It is nice to shoot but the only problem is that if I want a magazine it won't work. So I am leaning a little towards the 338NMI. Don't know if I can run a CEB in magazine or not. I am thinking either a 265 or 275 CEB and I think I can get velocities near the edge and possibly run a magazine.

I dont let the Mag box affect me in anyway shape or form . I load em long and single feed but what do I know I only have 50 plus Animals mounted .
Now if I was in a Battle you bet I would have a large capacity mag box !

This seems to weigh on alot guys , I'm fine with single feeding my Rifles .

Never tryed the Normas ! I'm sure it will a Shooter when you get it done !

Rum Man