33XC Build

Wondering how barrel life is on 33xc versus 338 lapua improved? I am going going to build something and have been trying to decide between the 338 Norma improved and 338 lapua improved and the 33 XC or if it is a good idea for a 37 xc

Wondering how barrel life is on 33xc versus 338 lapua improved? I am going going to build something and have been trying to decide between the 338 Norma improved and 338 lapua improved and the 33 XC or if it is a good idea for a 37 xc
Gotta be harder on barrels for sure. The 37XC would be better than even the 338 Lapua improved I would think. If I were to do another, it'd have to be one for beyond 2500 and the .375 caliber is king IMO for going beyond 1.5 miles. I shot my 338 LM imp at 1800 this past November and there's no need for anything more for out to 2000+ IMO based on my experience. Had some decent winds and had to adjust for it but it was repeatable and fairly easy to call. No switch winds or crazy stuff like out West but it was gassing a little.

Gotta be harder on barrels for sure. The 37XC would be better than even the 338 Lapua improved I would think. If I were to do another, it'd have to be one for beyond 2500 and the .375 caliber is king IMO for going beyond 1.5 miles. I shot my 338 LM imp at 1800 this past November and there's no need for anything more for out to 2000+ IMO based on my experience. Had some decent winds and had to adjust for it but it was repeatable and fairly easy to call. No switch winds or crazy stuff like out West but it was gassing a little.
Ok
I watched my son out west make a 1863 yd shot with a 338 edge. I do like that cartridge and ability for many options with brass. But I don't want to build something the same so that maybe down the road I turn a firearm over to him that he doesn't have 2 of the same. I was thinking of the 33xc but concerned with brass availability and barrel life. I thought about the 37xc due to possibly better barrel life but then limited on bullet selection.

Ok
I watched my son out west make a 1863 yd shot with a 338 edge. I do like that cartridge and ability for many options with brass. But I don't want to build something the same so that maybe down the road I turn a firearm over to him that he doesn't have 2 of the same. I was thinking of the 33xc but concerned with brass availability and barrel life. I thought about the 37xc due to possibly better barrel life but then limited on bullet selection.
I'm far from an expert so I'd refer you to Ryan or Alex for better experienced answers BUT from my limited experience if your shooting out to 2500 yards, the 338 LM improved is plenty of rifle. Beyond that to say 3000+ I'd say the XC is king and further out to 2 miles and beyond, the Cheytac cartridge has got to be the better choice.

Heres a picture of a 338 lapua on the left in factory ammo with a 300 gr SMK. 338 norma improved on the right with a 300 gr berger right above the neck shoulder junction. Obviously the 300 gr smk is shoved way down into the lapua case from the factory.

Attachments

• 338 lapua and norma improved.jpg
    338 lapua and norma improved.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 297
Heres a picture of a 338 lapua on the left in factory ammo with a 300 gr SMK. 338 norma improved on the right with a 300 gr berger right above the neck shoulder junction. Obviously the 300 gr smk is shoved way down into the lapua case from the factory.
Ya no comparison in factory loaded 338 LM vs the improved 300NM loaded correctly

It's like cheating when it comes to shooting in the wind lol. And then hits like a freight train when it comes into contact w my steel gong at 1000 yds
Ryan,
Post results in wind with that cartridge at behind 2K when you get that data or IF you get that data. Curious what your results will be.

Ryan,
Post results in wind with that cartridge at behind 2K when you get that data or IF you get that data. Curious what your results will be.
With h1000 in a 26" barrel your looking at 2700-2750 fps. With n570 your looking at 2850-2900 fps with 300 gr bergers. I have a load at 2865 fps w N570 that shot 5 shots at 580 yds into 1.1" vertical.

Just as a comparison. A 300 gr berger at 3300 fps has roughly the same energy at 1600 yds as a 6.5 creedmoor with the muzzle against the fur. It has 7267 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. It has 1550 ft lbs of energy at 2150 yds.
Yes but when you get past a mile is when the 6.5 creedmore starts to shine.
My buddy has a sniper rifle that's a 6.5 creedmore. rifle and scope was about $700 and he can shoot easily to 1 mile.

Plug the velocity of 3200 fps with a 300 gr berger into the ballistic calculator. Thats what the n570 load was with unsustainable barrel life. 3000-3100 with other powders

Recent Posts