338wm vs 375H&H vs 338rum

lunchbox0311

I am needing some help deciding which rifle to get. I am wanting to hunt brown bear at the largest and some elk and moose also. I do not know much about any of these rifles so I was hoping that maybe you guys could help a guy out. The farthest I have shot anything I own is out to 400yds. So distance that is probably about as far as I will shoot.
Any input you can give me would be great. I have no one around me that I know of that has a rifle in any of these calibers.
Thanks

Any of them will do just fine if used properly. I would always recommend the 338 rum for long range due to the long sleek bullets available that are ideally sized for that cartridge. For a real 400 yrd gun any of three should do a fine job and within that range the ballistics do not really matter all that much as long as you know them. 338 win= great hard hitter, 375=more frontal area but comparable thump, 338 rum=long range super thumper.

lunchbox0311

You mentioned some pretty big and potentially dangerous animals. I'd go with the 338 RUM (I have one) and furthermore I'd put a good muzzle break on it like Kirby Allens medium Painkiller. I'd consider shooting Barnes bullets out of it – such as their new 280 grain LRX for big animals and their 210 grain TTSX for smaller stuff. If some day you decide you want to shoot further you could.:)

Have all 3. Pick one for all of them .338 RUM. Specialty Brown Bear .375 H&H. With bullets like the 275 A-Frame the big 338's are by no means inadequate.

Lunchbox. I have a 338 win mag and love it. But like all things time to move on to bigger and better things. The 338 rum is a power house of a round and can be loaded in so many different variations. But for me personaly I am starting a .375 h&h build. The ultimate decision is up to your prefference.

Happy hunting

I am going to have to disagree with the masses. even out to 500 or a little further the 375 H&H is by far going to out thump them all. The devastating killing power of the 375 is unlike that of the 338's I have 2- 375's and 2-338's and I assure you the 338 is no slouch and the winmag or the rum will handle either with ease. However with the 375 there are several advantages. the first one is all of your reloading manuals build loads at 55k PSI because the cartridge is so old they have to make it safe for the 80 year old rifles but if you have a modern rifle itll handle around 65k psi easy which means you are getting a lot more velocity than the book states. (case in point my dad has a sako 375 H&H and shoots the 270TSX at 2900 fps which is nothing short of impressive) The second advantage is diameter, there is something about a big bore that sucks the life out of stuff. its a whole new kind of dead. and thirdly the design of the 375H&H cartridge itself. Long taper, feed very easily and extracts easily, it was designed for dangerous game and it has been the gold standard for years. So unless you want to get into long range shooting with it (600+) I would go 375 no questions! the 374 is a serious rifle for serious hunters.

I agree with Mike. I was in the same boat as the OP with my new rifle. I looked into the .375 as well but after deciding that 98% of my hunting will be for Elk I went a different route. I found a great deal on a slightly used .340 Weatherby Mag Mark V Alaskan. I decided to split the performance difference between the Winmag and RUM (although it is VERY close to the RUM) and get the higher quality Weatherby rifle and enjoy the 54deg short bolt lift and liquid smooth action and superior brass for reloading. That gives me a much faster cycleing and imho a more reliable rifle in dangerous game territory. All for less money than a new Rem in the .338 Rum.

For the O.P. :
if Bears are #1 then get the .375 H&H, .378 Wby, or .338-378Wby

Bear is not #1 and money is easy, .338-378Wby, then .340Wby

For best bang for the dollar new rifle... the .338 Rum dressed in a Remington XCR II.

I love the 338 win AND the 375 h@h. I've owned both for years. The 375 will drive an all copper 300 grain to nearly 2600 fps. I'm coring two feet into frozen railroad ties with it and holding better than 280 grain; I've got the bullets posted in the TEST forum if you browse around a bit. It'll put the hurt on for sure.

I will toss one more out there. The 9.3x62

Way less recoil than the other calibers listed. Plenty enough smack to run to 400 yards. Comparable energy to the 375H&H. Its the only sub .375 cartridge allowed for dangerous game in some African countries.

Runs on a standard LA and .473 bolt face. Factory ammo pushes a 286PT at 2450 and the 250AB at 2550. Very popular cartridge all over the world and gaining popularity in the US.

Widely used here in Sweden (all of Scandinavia) for moose, bear, big deer and Russian boar and it flattens all of them.

Lapua, Norma, Hornady and Nosler brass and a decent bullet selection.
Along with good quality factory ammo availability.

The 9.3x62 has my vote, but of the three you asked about I would take the 375H&H

All will do under most circumstances... I'd personally choose the .338 RUM with a great bullet. Partition or X-bullet will handle it without question. If your recoil sensitive choose the .375 not that's it's easy but it's a little better.. shoot straight and don't stop shooting and you'll be all right with any of the mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.