338wm opinions please

Happy to hear you found the problem.
I have 3 338's, a kimber 8400, Win Model 70 EW and a Kimber Super America.
All 3 devour RE19 and 225gr Accubonds, it is THE powder for the 338, both in accuracy and velocity. Have not found a powder yet that beats it.
RE22 is great with bullets 250gr and heavier.

Cheers.

Have not found a powder yet that beats it.
Cheers.
Agree with Reloder 19 being one of the "go to" 338 Win powders. If looking for similar performance but better temp stability, give Reloder 16 a try. Faster than H4831SC and just a stable and accuracy has been stellar with 225 TTSX, 225 AB and 230 ELDX.

Never had an issue with temp stability with RE19 or RE25, RE22 is absolutely temp sensitive, however.
I work up my loads in summer with these powders, have only ever seen a 30fps drop in winter.

Cheers.

My father has a winchester rifle chambered in 338wm. I have been helping him reload for it so he can hunt moose with it. Hes using 225 nosler partitions with federal large magnum primers. We've managed to get his his rifle shoot an ES of 3 and SD of 1.7.... With a powder charge of 72.5 of RL19, however his groups are like 5" at 100. Do I assume my next step is adjusting his seating depth?
Using a Horandy LNl Bullet Comparator insert & a modified .338 WM case plus your brand of bullet you can easily determine your correct jump for a given bullet. Take your time and work up your dimensions slowly during load development. Document everything each time you go to the range. A little trick that I use is to color code the primers using a magic marker. This way you will know exactly what your bullet's jump is before you load your round. With a little loving bench & shooting time you will work up a beautiful load.

I've got a Sako L61 338 WM with the bofors barrel that will not shoot RL19, wouldn't go any faster than 2800 FPS no matter how much powder I put to it with the 210 Partitions. I switched to IMR 4350 and it woke it right up, 2960 FPS and .5 m.o.a.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.