338WM load data

goblbustr

Friend of mine asked me to load some 338s for him and asked for 6 each at 73, 74 and 75 grains of R22 with a 250gr. Accubond. When i seated the first bullet to MOL in the 73s it was very compressed and of coarse the 74 and 75 worse yet. All my books are older and I have no data for R22 in the 338. Is this normal in this round or are those loads to heavy? Thanks

Bustr, +1 on the compressed load. I loaded Nosler Partition 225gr for a friend's 338 Mag and the top performing load was compressed. Must be the 338 norm.

the only loads that really work good in my 338 are compressed. I use 250gr interlocks on top of 75gr 7828ssc. any 250gr is going to be long in that stubby WM case so they'll compress quickly when loaded to book coal

Just for voice of reason, I have always been very careful when loading ammo for rifles that I do not own. A friend of mine had me load him some 210 grain TTSXs for his 338wm, and I gave him a starting charge with RL19. Made him feel tough that his big 338 wm didn't kick the snot out of him.

Maybe you could load your buddy up a few extra rounds at lower charge weights just to be safe?

Thanks for the replies gentleman. After reading this and finding more info it appears this is the norm for the 338wm with a 250gr slug.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.