338win vs 300win vs 300ultra

EastHunter

Some told my that the difference with the 338win and the 300win where so light( as impack force terminal effect) that they is no reason to use the 338win. Told him e was wrong the terminal effect is not the same on game. We argue a bit, was fun but neither of us change or mind. Im for the 338win. Maby e as not that moch knoleag on the 338 round sins it not use alot around here. The guy was a sold man, he have a fee 338win in stock but just not pushin for it.

E told me to go for the 300ultra if i want to go stronger. Not sure to want the 300ultra but the 220gr rond nose hornady interlock e sho me for reaold sur look interesting. Could use them for hunting and shooting.

What would be your chose beatwin those 3 cal? As for a first long range rifle? For shot around 500yrd max? Wich is my longer possible shot may by...
Can not buy 2 rifle and realy want to make the right choose. That why im asking so much question.

Some told my that the difference with the 338win and the 300win where so light( as impack force terminal effect) that they is no reason to use the 338win. Told him e was wrong the terminal effect is not the same on game. We argue a bit, was fun but neither of us change or mind. Im for the 338win. Maby e as not that moch knoleag on the 338 round sins it not use alot around here. The guy was a sold man, he have a fee 338win in stock but just not pushin for it.

E told me to go for the 300ultra if i want to go stronger. Not sure to want the 300ultra but the 220gr rond nose hornady interlock e sho me for reaold sur look interesting. Could use them for hunting and shooting.

What would be your chose beatwin those 3 cal? As for a first long range rifle? For shot around 500yrd max? Wich is my longer possible shot may by...
Can not buy 2 rifle and realy want to make the right choose. That why im asking so much question.

They are all capable of killing big game at 500 yards.

It all comes down to what you like about each, 3oo win mag has the least recoil because of
optimum bullet weight. The 300 Ultra mag has more recoil than the 300 win mag and the
flattest trajectory of all three, and the 338 Win Mag has the most recoil and downrange energy
for the largest game.

So if you are going to hunt deer only I would recomend the 300 Win Mag.

If you are going/wan't to use the 30 cal 220gr round nose then the rum would be my choice.

If you are going to hunt Elk size game at 500 yards then go with A/The 338.

They each have a place that they perform well.

J E CUSTOM

My game will be moose and deer. Hevy wood are more "the game" around were y hunt but got one strait line so just in case...

Allways bin told that the 300ultra ad the more recol. Never try it, but try 338win and it fine for me.

Gest that will be the better choice for me.

J E Custom is correct in laying out for you what each one is best for. Having said that I think the 300 Win Mag would meet your needs very well. Excellent bullet choices, distance, cost, availability, firearm selection, least recoil and so on.

If you are only going to shoot to 500 or 700 yds, the 338 WM is the best to shoot. If you want to shoot farther, the 300 RUM is what you want to shoot.

If you want to shoot farther than 500 yds, then you need a good accurate rifle and a good accurate load. You also need a good rangefinder.

Good shooting and good hunting,

Mark

The thing im sure about is that y want a good rifle, can't go custom but their is some compagnie rifle that shoot good(for the distance i will hunt for now).

Realy torn betwin the 300win and the 338win. The 300win hase the best choice of bullet, lest reacol and more rifle chose. The 338win have more bunch, drive heavyer bullet. It also least seen around and i can of like that fact.

My hunting shooting budy and y like "strange" cal un like most peapole around. 45-70, 444mar,300sav, 243win... Most hunter i know use either 30-06 or 308win, fee like me have 270win even lest have 300win.

So wen i speak about 338win got the bad eye look. Just want to have someting that gonna drop a moose in is trac event if the shot got to past true heavy bone.

Dont get me wrong i dont shot if im not sure the im gona hit vital, just dont want to track game on long distance, have some friend that have probleme with game pasing infront of other hunter...

The question of witch cal to chose give me some head pain, but the kind of you like....

Y dont think im gona shoot very far by the standar of "long range hunter"(more around 200 to 300yrd max)but like i said got one strait 500yrd line so.

Think the bow hunter in me said to keepit close but the rifeman what to try at longer shot.

I really liked the Sierra 215grn boattail soft point. Worked really well to take a couple of deer down with a quickness. The speed at which you can push it and its weight will work well in semi heavy brush. It will definately kill a deer and a moose at 500yrds. If you want heavier, then go with the 250 Round nose or the 250 SPBT. Just a thought. The .338WM is one of my favorite calibers.

Tank

Easthunter, don't want to assume too much but, I get the impression your hunting is somewhere in the Eastern US of which I'm fairly familar with...Not surprising you get looks when you mention 338WM...not that frequently used or IMHO-needed in the East. But, to each his own and if that's what you want then get it but, even with a 338WM if shot placement isn't good then plan on tracking...bigger doesn't always compensate for that. Personally for the game in the east and the yardage your talking about the 300WM with decent shot placement is highly effective. Just to let you know there are folks in the west that wouldn't have issue with using a 300WM on elk and deer with good shot placement out to 800 yards...I agree it's good head pain to have.:)

Lets talk long range {600-1000yds} I took Shawn Carlocks long range shooting class this last summer, [DefensiveEdge.com] I use a Remington 700 300RUM, 26" stainless, muzzle brake, laminated stock, 210 grn Berger VLD bullets, 91 grns H1000. Scope: Kniteforce 3.5x15NXS/NPR1

Rifle is off the shelf, I floted the barrel. Shot my first long range Elk this last Nov @ 892yd.

I couldnt afford a custom rifle but took the time to find a load that shot well in my rifle and it works well.

I have a 300 win mag in a mdl 700 and it also shoots well, but with the muzzle brake the 300RUM kicks like a 308. That is my choice of elk and big game gun now. Remember the best shooting rifle is the one you are comfortable shooting and shoot well with it.

Chas, my guess is that EastHunter is from East Canada. I agree with with your overall assessment except when it comes to shooting moose. A 300 WM will sure get the job done, but a 338 WM will sure put a lot more of them down in their tracks than a 300.

EastHunter, I looked at the Federal ammo site and checked the balisitcs of the 338 WM and 300 WM. Both are only good to about 450-500 yds because they run out of speed at those distance. The bullets need 1800 fps to expand and 400-500 yds is where they drop below that speed. If you want tio drop moose in their tracks, go with the 338 and who cares what looks you get. They can look at your dead moose. That's my $.02, US

Mark

Long Time Lone Ranger posted this about the 338WM-"In my opinion it is best suited shooting the 225 AB at 2950 fps. My longest shot with it was a moose at 1100 yards. My opinion is this cartridge is best suited inside of 800 yards and within that range the slow heavy bullets do not justify there use when compared to the 225 AB."

MontanaRifleman posted this "If I were developing an elk load in a 300 WM I would start with 180 E-Tips and 200 AB's. The 165's should do OK, but the heavier bullets will do a little better. The bigger the better, especially for elk. If you really want to use the 165's, go for it, but why use a smaller bullet? Most imoprtant factor is which bullet shoots best in your rifle.

H4831sc should work well. I would try Retumbo for heavier bullets if you decide to use them.

One question... why limit yourself to 400 yds? With a little practice 600 or more is fairly easy.

Good hunting,

Easthunter, search LRH and you'll see for yourself that 300wm is accepted as effective out to 800 yards and 338 wm with good shot placement...now that maybe with a custom rig with long barrels, high BC bullets and pet loads, and exacting shots...but this is LRH.

Long Time Lone Ranger posted this about the 338WM-"In my opinion it is best suited shooting the 225 AB at 2950 fps. My longest shot with it was a moose at 1100 yards. My opinion is this cartridge is best suited inside of 800 yards and within that range the slow heavy bullets do not justify there use when compared to the 225 AB."

MontanaRifleman posted this "If I were developing an elk load in a 300 WM I would start with 180 E-Tips and 200 AB's. The 165's should do OK, but the heavier bullets will do a little better. The bigger the better, especially for elk. If you really want to use the 165's, go for it, but why use a smaller bullet? Most imoprtant factor is which bullet shoots best in your rifle.

H4831sc should work well. I would try Retumbo for heavier bullets if you decide to use them.

One question... why limit yourself to 400 yds? With a little practice 600 or more is fairly easy.

Good hunting,

Easthunter, search LRH and you'll see for yourself that 300wm is accepted as effective out to 800 yards and 338 wm with good shot placement...now that maybe with a custom rig with long barrels, high BC bullets and pet loads, and exacting shots...but this is LRH.

Chas, All the above is true. In EastHunter's case, It sounds to me like 500 yds will be his max range and his priority is dropping moose as quick as possible. He is also using factoring ammo and I'm guessing in the 1000' altitude ball park. Most factory ammo uses low BC bullets and the loads will not match handloads tailored by most LT hunters, especially at lower altitudes. My guess is that in his neck of the woods, the ammo he can get will likely be Fed SP's, Partitons, Rem corelocts, etc. And he really doent need much more for 500 yd shooting. So with a factrory rifle shooting factory ammo, 400-500 yds is about the limit both ballisitically and probably accuracy.

Cheers,

Mark

Given those inputs I'd tend to agree, factory ammo, factory rig, humidity, altitude, skill level...do tend to add up or should I say subtract. I'm usually inclined to approach things from a...optimal equipment/conditions mindset. Take care.

Chas

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.