.338Win Mag

I'd like to ask you,
what kind of bullets are the best for shooting over 200 yards in this caliber using Sako rifle?
Also, what would you recommend for hunting moose, which bullet?

Thanks
confused.gif

Sir...hae killed 5 Elk with the .338 and have been pleased all the way. I like the 210 Nosler or the 225. Last elk was at @ 500 yds...couldn't get closer-across canyon. Held about 12 inches over back and dropped into mid chest. Sighted in 3 1/2 inches high at 100. Broke shoulders, penetrated chest and stayed under hide on far side. As usual, kept shooting till he dropped. Put 5 into him. First one anchored him to the spot, but since he didn't drop, kept shooting. Recommend you do the same. Long distances aren't fun in the snow. Moose about the same size, but a bit more tender. I would think (don't know) that the same bullet would work well.H 4831 SC at about 69 or 70 grains ought to give you about 2850 to 2900 fps with the 210 Nosler Partition. Won't get better than that. Good hunting. Paul

Thanks Paul,
well, I wouldn't mind to get this rifle in .338Rem Ultra Mag, but I'm a bit afraid that Remington might discountinued that fine cartridge from their line.
I shall then go with old and good .338Win Mag

Thanks again for your input

I am curious what would cause you to think that Remington would discontinue the .338RUM.
If you have loading equipment it doesn't matter if Remington discontinues the gun.I have similar caliber(300RUM/.338)on the 300RUM case, it works great at long range.

ad sniper2,
I don't reload, that's why I wanna buy popular cal.
When Remington introduced a new line of Rem Ultra Mag, I said, WOW, that's it.
Even Browning made a model or so in ULTRA, but now, there is less gun makers interested with those fine cal.
Couple days ago I have looked at Sako in .300RUM, everything fine except no detach mag. It **** me off, why all other calibers got detach mag but not .300ULTRA.
I budget a new rifle for next year, so I will wait and see, maybe I gonna swing to RUMs.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.