338RUM or 338/300RUM in 28" tube?

My 338 Rum has a 27 1/2 broughton 5c barrel and I am shooting the 300 gr berger hybrids a 2858 and 225 accubonds at 3300 with 91 gr h-1000 and 98 gr h-1000 respectively. I recently shot the 300
out to 1241 yards and the bullet drop was right on with my exbal from my pda, so that tells me the velocity is validated.

That is fast for a 300gr out of a 338 RUM, most won't see that velocity.Which is more accurate your 300 gr or 225 gr load?

I havent finished my 338/300 RUM yet but i choose to go with the 338/300 over the 338 RUM just becuase 300 RUM brass doesnt look like its going anywhere anytime soon. also the availability of 300 RUM brass. I got a standard set of redding 338/300 RUM FL die set and Micro seater for it. I think it all depends on point of view and what you want. I know the 338/300 RUM has a little advantage over the standard 338 RUM but is it worth it to you is the bottom line. Also i have hurd that Norma is going to start making 300RUM brass which is another reason i went with the 338/300 RUM.

I havent finished my 338/300 RUM yet but i choose to go with the 338/300 over the 338 RUM just becuase 300 RUM brass doesnt look like its going anywhere anytime soon. also the availability of 300 RUM brass. I got a standard set of redding 338/300 RUM FL die set and Micro seater for it. I think it all depends on point of view and what you want. I know the 338/300 RUM has a little advantage over the standard 338 RUM but is it worth it to you is the bottom line. Also i have hurd that Norma is going to start making 300RUM brass which is another reason i went with the 338/300 RUM.

Sinclair is selling Norma .300 RUM brass now $1.20 a case, not bad. At Sinclair it is on back order now and I'm not sure if it is being sold anywhere else yet.

Norma Brass - Sinclair Intl

I have tested dozens of rifles in each of these cartridges. For every 338-300 RUM that shoots over 2850 fps there is also a 338 RUM that does so. For every 338-300 RUM that shoots 2750 fps there is a 338 RUM that does so. They are so close the individual barrels and rifles make more difference than there is between the two cartridges. Performance is to close to make a determination. I just want to make sure people understand who are considering building one or the other that they are not making a choice based on the mythical advantage some think a 338-300 RUM has over the 338 RUM. Both are equally accurate and equally powerful cartridges. I was building rifles in 338-300 RUM in 1998 probably well before anyone on here ever heard of it and tested it extensively against the 338 RUM in 2001-2 time frame when it came out.

Average accuracy loads fall in the same range with both cartridges. The only difference is one is a standard cartridge with cheap over the counter components and one is a wildcat. The 338-300 has the extra trouble of forming brass. Brass for either is easy to get. Unfortunately right now 300 RUM brass is hard to get but that is just an anomaly. A couple years ago the 338 RUM was hard to get but typically both are easy to find. Both brass will be with us until we are gone. I can still get 32-20, 35 whelen, 45-70 and all kinds of off the wall old stuff so no need to worry about something as popular as these two not being around during our useful life.

Last edited:
LTLR- Any more news on the 338 sin? Are they rechambering rifles or selling reamers? Ive emailed sin arms and hadnt received a reply. I am not sure if he is too busy or no longer doing it.

Please let me know if you have a chance.

He is really busy i talked with him about building both a 338 sin and a 338/300 RUM. Only reason i didnt end up using him was the wait time. I know Devin does very good work from what i have hurd. I called and left a message and he contacted me a few days later. You can get his number over on the savageshooters website he use to be over there alot.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.