338RUM & LM base and ring setups and problems

wasgas

What is everyone using for base rings on the bigger 338+ rifles, and have you had any problems with it?

I have a light weight hunting setup without a brake and after switching scopes had issues with the rings coming loose from my bases. I was shooting a max load of 250gr bullets and my weaver tactical rings came loose from the bases, I original installed with clear nail polish. I took it home and over tightened them slightly with lock-tight. I have an identical setup on a 270 that has been trouble free. If the problem continues I will have to switch to another setup.

Has anyone tried a picatinny rail and switching scopes between rifles? I have given it a little thought but wanted to see if it works well for others.

Attachments

• rem20131027_111800.jpg
    rem20131027_111800.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 20
  • rem20131027_111816.jpg
    rem20131027_111816.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 18
I have 2 - 338 normas one 7+ bare and one 9+ bare. One has mark 4 rings and one NF tit.I have about 500 rnds out and falls on the mountain pict. rails no problem, braked

Nightforce rails and Nightforce UL rings on everything including big 338's never had an issue and I do not loctite anything!

For that big of a cartridge and that light of a gun, and no brake to boot those weaver rings are NOT up to the task. The lowest quality rings I would even think about considering would be the Burris extreme tactical rings. But ideally warne steel rings or nightforce, badger, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.