.338lm

benbo

Hi y'all from PA, just joined the site looks great, and lots of good information here! Anyway the time has come for me to invest in a new gun, I'm currently shooting a custom. 308 that I built myself to get my feet wet per say, but I was looking into a bigger gun, most likely the. 338LM for which I will do all my own reloading. My question is should I bother attempting to build it myself or buy from a smith. I think with the investment it would benefit me to have it built for I am not that good yet. Can anyone suggest where to start contacting for the build? And what I should expect. Thanks everyone

Hi y'all from PA, just joined the site looks great, and lots of good information here! Anyway the time has come for me to invest in a new gun, I'm currently shooting a custom. 308 that I built myself to get my feet wet per say, but I was looking into a bigger gun, most likely the. 338LM for which I will do all my own reloading. My question is should I bother attempting to build it myself or buy from a smith. I think with the investment it would benefit me to have it built for I am not that good yet. Can anyone suggest where to start contacting for the build? And what I should expect. Thanks everyone
Scroll down till you find the thread on the Savage .338LM.

A lot of people are extremely happy with their's and they come at a fraction of the cost of having one built.

Also check the LRH classifieds as you will occasionally find very nice custom or semi custom 338 LM's for sale there.

When you say you built your current rifle yourself what does that mean, Savage with a prefit or do you have a lathe and the capability to chamber and fit a barrel.

I had a friend take care of the action we used a rem 700 action and he also fit my barrel, I milled the bell and carson stock out and fit the badger Mag well in and installed a Jard trigger, refabbed the bolt with a larger knob and mounted a one piece 20moa mark 4 base and mark 4 scope on it, and tuned my reloads it shoots great. I don't have the ability to do the action and barrel myself I would like to learn. I do have the lathe and the funds to tinker but that's alot of money to potentially blow is my only worry

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.