338EDGE at 94gr and No Pressure signs

300rum

Hi,

As all of you know I have a 338edge build on Rock Crick 1-9.4 twist barell.
My regularry load is
300SMK
Rem Brass
CCi 250M
92gr H-1000
at 2838fps

Yesterday I did another load development with the same load, and I was going up to 94gr.
at 93g, 93.5g, and 94gr Loads the powder was little bit crunched, and no signs of pressure at all.
No hard lifting bolt, no bolt marks on case, no flatened primer, and no cratered primers.

How manny of you guys load their 338edge more then 94gr, and how much will affected the group.

Do you think I can push little bit up.

put too much powder in and the primer could come loose. That would be dangerous.

Don't know the max load.

Yes I know that.
I talked with my gunsmith and he told me with this type of barel he has some customers with 95 -96gr H-1000 on 338edge rifle.

I just want to double check other views, before going up a few grains.

what is your COAL? Im working on my edge right now and would love if i can cram 94gr. in it. Did you possibly chrono your loads at 94 gr.?

what is your COAL? Im working on my edge right now and would love if i can cram 94gr. in it. Did you possibly chrono your loads at 94 gr.?

the COAL - from primer to tip is 3.774
i did not crono yet the load - i put a bullet through crony last time, and i have to get another one.

94.0 gr was my load until I bought some more H1000 now it's too hot . These lots of H1000 sure can vary.Previous batch of powder I could go to 95 comfortably.

i was shooting 97 grains, with no pressure signs, 2950 fps, 34" barrel though. And the throat is fairly generous in my rifle.. I just bought 8 lbs and some berger 300 grains, so I will be doing some development with them this weekend, I will let you know what i find.

Have you tried seating another new primer in any of the cases you shot the 94 gr load in? Might be worth shoting the same case 2 times with 94 gr and see how the primer fits after that. Also if it was 60 degrees or lower you might be over pressure on an 80 degree day. But that may not matter if you never shoot on hot days.

These are just a few things I have seen with a Lapua , Edge and a 338 RUM with 300 gr bullets. I have found 92.5 gr to be plenty and most Rem cases would not last with that.

Jeff

how firm should seating the primer be? I posted another thread, on my gun as not to hijack this thread but are the remington cases weak to the point where I will not be able to take full advantage of the 34" barrel on my rifle.

sorry for the hijack, respond in my thread, same sub-forum right near this thread.

Have you tried seating another new primer in any of the cases you shot the 94 gr load in? Might be worth shoting the same case 2 times with 94 gr and see how the primer fits after that. Also if it was 60 degrees or lower you might be over pressure on an 80 degree day. But that may not matter if you never shoot on hot days.

These are just a few things I have seen with a Lapua , Edge and a 338 RUM with 300 gr bullets. I have found 92.5 gr to be plenty and most Rem cases would not last with that.

Jeff

Hi Broz,

Yes I shoot 2 reloading with 94gr and no loose primer pokets.
I also stepped up a t 96gr and no pressure. I was shooting them at 100F and 86F.
with 93.5gr I got 2884fps and at 200yrs got 2 rounds touching and one flyer., so I stepped up to 96gr, but the group oppened up.

When did you noticed best accuracy with H-1000? At 90 - 99% case fill-up with powder?

Hi Broz,

Yes I shoot 2 reloading with 94gr and no loose primer pokets.
I also stepped up a t 96gr and no pressure. I was shooting them at 100F and 86F.
with 93.5gr I got 2884fps and at 200yrs got 2 rounds touching and one flyer., so I stepped up to 96gr, but the group oppened up.

When did you noticed best accuracy with H-1000? At 90 - 99% case fill-up with powder?

Sounds like you should be good.. I would pick the most accurate charge and play with seating depth. But watch for pressure if you go close or into the lands. I like to stay arounf 96 to 98% fill on the case if possible.

Jeff

Hi Broz.

Unfortunately I have to use 3.774 due to feeding Whyatt Extended Mag.
The only way to tune up the load is by powder charge.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.