338AX Recoil Pad or Not

Chas1

I'm wondering for those that have a 338 AX with APS Painkiller muzzle brake if you thinks it's worth installing a recoil pad, gun weight will probably be approx 15 lbs. I know recoil tolerance for one may be different to another so I'll try to give you a feel for my recoil tolerance. I currently shoot a 300 RUM unbreaked, no recoil pad, gun weight approx 9.5 lbs and recoil is ok until I get around 10-15 rounds then it get to be less fun. Any comments or thoughts are appreciated. Charlie

Recoil will be about like a 25-06 to 270 Win at most, recoil will not be an issue. That said, every stock should have a recoil pad installed. For no other reason other then it will grip your shoulder and give your rifle a solid footprint contacting you while shooting. If the stock slips on your shoulder when fired you will get inconsistant accuracy down range.

You will not need a significant recoil pad but you should have one. I use the Decelerator pads on most of my rifles, or at least have McMillan or Manner or the other stock makers install them on the stocks I order for customers.

Recoil will be about like a 25-06 to 270 Win at most, recoil will not be an issue. That said, every stock should have a recoil pad installed. For no other reason other then it will grip your shoulder and give your rifle a solid footprint contacting you while shooting. If the stock slips on your shoulder when fired you will get inconsistant accuracy down range.

You will not need a significant recoil pad but you should have one. I use the Decelerator pads on most of my rifles, or at least have McMillan or Manner or the other stock makers install them on the stocks I order for customers.

Thanks Kirby. I will be sending email to you shortly w/buid specs. Charlie

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts