338am brass

new shooter

I am having kirby build a 338am. what i would like to know is where the best place to get brass and the least expensive? I have a feeling this brass will not be cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have gotten mine from TTI armory. Easiest to form in my opinion as it has a very good anneal on the neck and shoulder.

Unfortunately, no it is not cheap but for a case with a 145 to 150 gr powder capacity, its not to darn bad!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
I am having kirby build a 338am. what i would like to know is where the best place to get brass and the least expensive? I have a feeling this brass will not be cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was unable to find TTI Brass, so I ordered Jamison from Grafs. Kirby said its a bit tougher to form. Kirby sent me a couple example formed 338AM brass, and comparing the TTI to the Jamison, the Jamison has a bit thicker rim (his where fired, mine are new). The TTI is also a bit lighter (366gr/365gr, my 100 Jamison averaged 381gr. The lightest Jamison was 365 (way out of the norm). As far as I know, the brass Kirby sent were also 'out of the norm', just giving you the info that I have. The Jamison brass I purchased, had 4 very light and one very heavy. The other 95 had an extreme spread of 10 grains, with 2 clusters within 3 grains that made up the majority of the Brass.

The Jamison brass seems to be quality stuff. I couldn't find TTI brass, if I could have, I would have bought it instead. I just felt funny not having the brass on the shelf for the rifle I had on order.

Here is a link to the Brass I purchased.

http://www.grafs.com/grafs/search/product/73587

Don

The Jamison hulls are good as well. I have used them. Will take more pressure then the TTI but are a bit trickier to neck down because they are harder in the neck. Also require neck and shoulder annealing a bit more then TTI cases but will take more PSI.

Kirby Allen(50)

Looks like the Jamison "from Graf's" is 12.00 per 20 higher than TTI. I have used the Jamison brass, it is much harder to work with than TTI brass. More annealing is needed.
web page "TTI Armory"

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.